1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help is on the way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Apr 25, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

I'm spending mine in Seattle on good beer and fresh seafood. And maybe a fridge magnet.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm buying a cheap, low-mileage car a friend turned me on to.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Come on, I'll show you how. Just put your hand here.......

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm also "rich" by government standards. Maybe I should start voting Republican to protect all of my capital gains income? Oh wait, I don't have any of that, either.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The summer 2001 checks were not a rebate of taxes paid the previous April, as many thought. Instead, they were an advance on the refund taxpayers were going to get in April 2002.

That meant refunds in April 2002 were $300 smaller than they would have been without the summer 2001 checks. And those who owed taxes faced a tax bill $300 higher.

The 2008 checks ARE a rebate and are NOT taxable income.

Instead, the government is looking at the $9,600 (or whatever) you paid in taxes and is telling you "You only owed $9,000, not $9,600, so here is your $600 difference."

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. You could fit what I know about taxes and economics into a thimble ...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I wish there were a way to determine how much of rebate checks will go to the oil companies.

Mine? IRA, every cent.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They're giving us back our own money. Maybe that's a way to look at it.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm liking Yawn 2.0 totally.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I am clearly an economic retard so I ask this question. We plan on putting this rebate towards some new windows in order to make our house better and more attractive to buyers in a couple of years. Would we be better off putting it in an IRA or is this not a win/win. We get something we need and a local construction firm makes some money?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Put it in the IRA. If anything happens, you'll have money that the government can't touch.

Draft saved Draft deleted