1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help in Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Sep 10, 2007.

1. I'm going to be in Phoenix this weekend for a conference/seminar. The hotel's real close to the airport and I've never been. Any advice on what to do Saturday night, especially somewhere close to the airport/Hilton? Diamondbacks are out of town, leaving too early Sunday to catch the Cardinals game ... only real sporting event is Arizona State-San Diego State.

Any other advice?

2. go down to Mill Avenue on campus and look at girls all night

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Go to Tempe. Best looking girls in America*.

* - At least in the parts of the country I have been to.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've been to all parts of the country, and no asterisk necessary.

Go to the game, good atmosphere there. And then go ogle the drunk, tan, amazingly hot coeds. And tell us all about it.

Oh! And take pictures.

5. How about for those of us who have a significant other?

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Um, just because you're on a diet it doesn't mean you can't look at the menu? :)

You should hit Don & Charlie's, a restaurant in Scottsdale that has been the center of the spring training universe for about 25 years. The memorabilia is staggering -- it has to have the biggest collection of autographed baseballs outside Cooperstown. You could spend a full day there just looking at the walls. And try the ribs. Teams have them shipped all over the country.

While you're there, go have a drink nearby at the Pink Pony. It was the big 50s and 60s baseball hangout, and seriously old school.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

what he said.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Remember the words of Bruce Springsteen "You Can Look but you better not touch"

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd eat here if you want to splurge a bit:

http://www.durantsfinefoods.com/

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-01-06/news/you-don-t-know-jack/

Actually, even if you don't want to splurge, you can get a burger there and still have the atmosphere. It's not on the dinner menu, but they'll make it if you ask.

10. accguy

accguy Member

There's always the Pink Taco in Scottsdale.

And I concur that there is very strong scenery on Mill in Tempe. And it isn't more than 5-10 minutes from your hotel.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just cruise Mill Street, lots of bars, etc.

The restaurant in the old train station depot just west of downtown has great scenery, as does the Library. There's also a pretty neat little Mexican-type bar just south of University Ave. in downtown that I had way too much beer at one night.

There are a few bars just east of SD Stadium that are decent. I always like McDuffie's in downtown Tempe but I've heard that is closed.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Two great clubs for live blues & roots music:

The Rhythm Room (www.rhythmroom.com)

Char's (www.charshastheblues.com)

Good Mexican food can be found at Macayo on Central Avenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted