1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I'm invited to Career Day...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, May 12, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Give them a day in the life: going to games is fun and getting to ask the questions that a fan would ask is fun, but that's not all it is. Tell them about the less glamourous days too.
    But yeah, give them some inside stuff -- a couple of stories about the guys and the games you've covered, how you write your story, where you get your idea, how you file the story, what happens after that...
    And there will be lots of questions. From the outside looking in, at least, our jobs still seem pretty cool.
    (And no, I'm not in middle school) ;D

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Skip the part about going online to SportsJournalists.com each day to find out which 32-year-old female teacher is banging which 14-year-old male student.

3. Whatever you do - don't have sex with a Portuguese waitress right before going on stage.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hustle goes to class:

[​IMG]

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I do two of these each year. One at a high school and one at a middle school. I am not a newspaper person so what I would do is a bit different than a guy writing for a daily or working a newspaper desk.

I talk a little about sports. I am honest. I let them know that a credential doesn't mean you drink ice cream sodas with players after games or go to their homes for barbeques during your free time. But I am not a bummer, trying to warn them off of media-related careers. I actually want to get them excited about writing and reading and design and photography and print. I always end up answering a ton of "what is so and so like" questions based on stuff I show them that I do. And I indulge it, but I try not to make it the focus.

I actually put a lot of thought into those silly career days; I take it way too seriously considering the kids probably see it as just a day off from math class or whatever. But I make it interactive and fun (at least I think I do). The first year I did it with the middle schoolers, I was afraid they wouldn't have the attention span for much, but the kids were really into it and we didn't have enough time. I didn't ask for this, but the next year, the school threw more than one class into the room with me and gave me two periods for each session so I could have more time. It went really well. If you can engage them, the time flies.

Keep in mind that there will be girls in the class--and some boys, too--who aren't into sports. So play it by ear. If they are interested in the sports, roll with it and let them ask lots of questions. But last year, for example, what I did was more a program about publishing--something sort of interactive that got them really involved.

In your case, you could make it more about reporting and writing, in general. Maybe try to think of something in which you have one kid interview you or have them interview each other with an emphasis on listening to the answers and asking follow-ups based on listening? I don't know. But structure it around what you do and come up with something they can do that is fun. You definitely want to keep them engaged and having fun. If you want to address where you see the newspaper industry headed, you should, but don't warn them off! Tell them how the internet has changed things, maybe, and try to stimulate them to think about journalism within a new media context. Tell them how a lot of great reporters and writers working for newspapers are switching jobs to places like Yahoo! and ESPN.com because of the opportunities the Internet is offering. The Internet is something they know, probably more than a newspaper, which is why I thought of that. You can even talk about what makes some info you get on the internet reliable (good reporting/journalism skills behind it) and some info unreliable and use it as a way to tie it into what you do at the newspaper as opposed to Joe Jerkoff who can throw up a web page easily and put misinformation on it.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Screwball has a great point. Give them something. Doesn't matter what. People love free stuff.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tell 'em the termite story...

8. i wouldn't write the off because they're middle schoolers. these days, kids are selecting high school programs while they're in seventh and eighth grade. without being totally gloomy, i'd tell them the field is very competitive. i'd talk about the need to be well-rounded. to be technologically savvy. to have skills with a video camera as well as writing skills. and i'd try to work in a little bit about non-sports journalism as well. leave time for questions. you'll be surprised how good they are and what other topics they'll take you to. be honest and have fun. not always easy to get free stuff to give them, but i've found just some ap photo printouts work at that age. i'm sure you'll find a young lady with a thing for derek jeter. you'll make her day with a pic.

good luck.

9. The first question from a kid will be, 'Do you make a lot of money?'

When you tell them, the next comment from them will be, 'That's OK. I'm going into sports broadcasting."

10. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Huss: Most importantly, no dipping.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I just did one a week and a half ago. Here's an approximation of my performance ...

[​IMG]

I made the mistake going in of thinking the majority of the kids were actually interested in reporting. Truth be told, most of them were just happy to have a Friday afternoon off from class and very few gave a rat's ass what I had to say or what I did.

I had to do three 30-minute sessions. I went in all idealistic on the first one. My theme was that kids who were into sports and writing were so lucky today compared to when I was in eighth grade, because of the Internet and because of blogs. I told them they could be sportswriters RIGHT NOW if they wanted to start a BLOG!

(Crickets chirping)

I also realized my prepared, idealistic spiel took up 15 of my allotted minutes. After that, I was scrambling worse than an eighth-grader on their first date.

After the first session was over, I went to the advisor and said, "I sucked! I have to change things up." She told me it was a matter of it being Friday and the kids wanted to go home, but the look in her eye said, "Yeah you sucked out loud."

I switched up and did a day in the life of a reporter bit for the second session. Did better. By the third one, I had in pretty much down, kibitizing with the kids and whatnot. Some of them had seen a tattoo artist and I had questions for them.

I asked every session whether they read the paper or not. To my surprise, many raised their hands, and even if you factor in a "lets be nice to the newspaper dork and raise our hands" factor, it was still more than I thought.

Just be prepared. I wasn't nearly as prepared as I should have been. Of course it didn't help the school I went to didn't tell us the format, time allotted, etc., but that's neither here nor there.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I love speaking at career days.
    It is one of my favorite things about my job.
    That isn't sarcasm either, I really enjoy it.
    Some tips:
    • Bring a laptop and a camera. Just to show them some gadgets.
    • Bring papers. Not just your paper, but ones from around the region. Ask them what they like about each one.
    • Explain the process of transmitting. Work in an SportsJournalists.com classic of filing from a gas station or some other nonsensical place.
    • Talk about the local college or pro team if you do sports. Or talk about the news and the local newsmakers.
    One of my favorite things was explaining what a lede was, and then giving them one minute to write one. Or have them write a headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted