1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I have no idea what to write

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jul 18, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

End a sentence with a preposition? What do you take me for?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Make sure you put a couple quotes from Jason Richardson and Mateen Cleaves in there.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That would be my suggestion. Have some fun with it.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wrote a similar column a couple years ago about how, really, nowadays we could just give coaches a multiple choice sheet with quotes on it after a game and let them check off the one they want. The first three answers to each question were standard coachspeak answers and the last was always what those answers really meant. People seemed to love it. I got a bunch of calls and compliments on it, particularly because the coach of Local U. is one of the worst offenders of coachspeak I've ever run into. An assistant SID told me he wanted to tape it to the coach's door, but liked his job too much to risk it.

If you have fun with it, your readers probably will too because they all know as well as we do that with the exception of a few, most coaches don't mean anything close to what they say.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Write about A) all the fun and frolic of past media days, especially when youknowwho didn't you know what cause he was afeerd....and B) when all else fails do a primer on the host city..

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think it's right about here where DP's one-note deal began to seem tiresome to me ...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My, you are a patient person... others would have given in long ago

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If it's the SEC we're talking about, the only thing your readers care about are Dreamland and Sammy's. And whether Mike Price shows up either place.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm biting my tongue so hard it hurts.

Actually JD I've done a few of these -- not what you'd call classic "advances" -- but lead-in stories for SEC Media Daze.

PM for ideas this year ... Tommy Tuberville splits the atom for 250 of his closest friends in the media???

10. House

House Guest

Will anyone try to serve Fulmer papers this year?

Will Auburn make it five-in-a-row at the Iron Bowl?

Could 'Bama compete for a title without Brodie "I'm so beaten up that nobody would take me high in the NFL draft" Croyle? (Without him overthrowing every receiver by 10 yards, the answer could surprise you.)

Will Arkansas bust Houston's Nutt if he can't win?

Will all those Urban renewal and Urban warfare and Urban whatever headlines stop in Florida?

Can Vandy top the Vols in the standings again!?!?

Draft saved Draft deleted