1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help: Going rate for the tooth fairy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rico_the_redneck, Mar 12, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The tooth fairy isn't real? Why didn't anyone tell me?!?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Gave my kids a dollar per tooth. I remember getting a dime back in the mid-'60s. Bet you can't wait until it's time for braces.

4. Just an update:

We went the $5 route and will probably do the $2 per tooth from here on out. The little princess was very happy to find the $5 under her pillow this morning.

I liked the Sackajawea dollar idea but I don't think she would have appreciated it at this age. She's a material girl and like someone said, a buck doesn't buy much these days. I've got a cup full of dollar coins, half dollars, $2 bills etc. that I can share with her (or she'll inherit) down the road. The state quarter thing was also really cool, but my mom has already started saving the state quarters in books for all her grandkids.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any kids (although I love the little buggers), but I just had a random conversation with my sister in which she mentioned that my nephew got a visit from the tooth fairy yesterday (not because of this thread). Not his first tooth. And he got $5.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Five bucks is ridiculous.

I got a quarter in the 1980s.

There can't have been THAT much inflation.

Or maybe we just need the equivalent of a Two-nie.

7. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Cripes, you should charge her for the disposal of the biohazard. Let her learn what its really like out there. "Lost a tooth? Sorry honey, that's $28. The landfill won't take it."

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

TRUE STORY:

Mother-in-law tells my 7-year boy that when she lost her first tooth, tooth fairy always put a $20 bill under her pillow........

Now, my kid is constantly pulling on his teeth to see if they are loose.

If they are......"Dad, get the pliers.......I got a loose one."

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

When my daughter lost her first tooth, a $5 was all I had in cash - this was like 6 years ago - so she got $5. I was ashamed to give that much, but it was her first tooth, etc., etc. So no big deal. From there on out, she only got $1.

Cut to 3 years later, her little brother loses his first tooth. I put $1 under his pillow. Wake up in the morning, he's bawling and older sister is mocking him because "tooth fairy gave ME $5 for my first tooth." Shit. That sucked.

Another tooth fairy memory No. 2 - my son loses a tooth late one night and we had NO money. Not a buck to my name. Can't just get a $1 from the ATM. Had no money in bank anyway. Nada. Can't write a check signed by the tooth fairy. Had to drive 30 minutes to my mom's house to get a dollar to put under his pillow. I was cursing the tooth fairy the whole way back home.

Tooth Fairy memory No. 3 - son loses tooth and I tell him to put it under his pillow. Musta had a hectic night because I forgot all about it. Wake up in the morning, he doesn't say anything during breakfast, I take 'em to school. Later that day, it hits me, "Oh shit, I forgot to put money under his pillow." He was 7 or 8 at the time, and I decided to nip the tooth fairy shit in the bud that night during dinner: "Son, you know Santa's not real right? Well, this tooth fairy fella ...." It was all pretty funny because he knew Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy weren't real. He was just playing along to get his cash. We all had a good laugh.

10. Mine's not old enough yet ... don't the kids wonder why the price for a tooth has gone down?

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

We told our daughter the tooth fairy always gave more for the first tooth. After that - it was $1.

Draft saved Draft deleted