1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help from those with green thumbs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, May 6, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My mom's birthday is Friday, Mother's Day is Sunday. I'm getting her something bigger, but I can't do it until my next check, which she knows and is fine with. I'd like to send her some flowers. She says she'd rather get potted plants she can transfer to her garden.

There are plenty of plants/flowers on FTD.com. Can they all be transferred? Or are there certain types of flowers that would do better than others? I don't want to buy her the Gerbera daisies if they're just going to die if planted outside. Same with the gardenia bonsai or the freesia.

Help?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Maybe you could get her a gift card to the local nursery so she can buy potted plants? Like those hanging baskets that Mom Mustang always gets for assorted holidays and observances.

3. imjustagirl

Yeah, I was going to do that, but she just went shopping at those places a week ago with my aunt and complained about how they don't have anything.

She's picky for someone who works two jobs and hardly has any time to garden. :D

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Find a perennial like daylily -- the gift that keeps on giving. Daylilys usually come in reds, oranges and lavender colors. She can transplant them and they'll keep coming every year.

http://ww12.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=18304&cm_cid=o

[​IMG]

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not only will they keep coming back, but they will multiply too..

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

If I get all drunked up after golf tonight (which is a distinct possibility) I could lop off a spare thumb, paint it green and fed-ex it out tomorrow, just in time for mama day.

Lemme know, though.

kthnxbye

7. imjustagirl

OK, but she only likes right thumbs. The left one reminds her of the time she hitchhiked to Woodstock and was molested by a man dressed as a nun.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What part of the country does she live in? That will make a difference as to what will grow where.

9. imjustagirl

Kentucky, down by a lake. Not a ton of sun, I don't think, because they have a bunch of trees.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's probably warm there, though, right?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

IJAG,

I could subscribe to a gardening magazine and get back to you.[/crossthreading]

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I found this link that has a list of plants recommended by some nursery in Louisville.

http://www.schmittsflorist.com/plantcare.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted