1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help...Career Advice???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChmDogg, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't Tom Petty might hunt you down and kick your ass.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Again . . . "Petty," indeed . . . . . . . . .

Chm, see if the new employer will match current salary. If they bump it up, professionally it sounds like a no-brainer to move. If they don't, it still sounds like a logical move, based on beat opportunities you should get there, and don't seem to be getting at your current place.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Run as fast as you can.

4. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Run from what?

5. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

From your current job to the new job, I'd think.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well shit ace. this obviously is a young guy who comes in and asks a question and then continues to tell us why it's better to work for less even though most of the people who answered his question told him not to.

(i know this kid hasn't) but he asks advice from people who've sat in on all-departmental newspaper yearly budget meetings and know newspapers 'assign' thousands of dollars to projects and employees on whims. if an editor really wants someone on staff, spending an extra 3 grand is a given.

owners and publishers of newspapers don't even vacation inside our own freakin' country, while many of us are happy as hell to take a week down the coast somewhere without our cell phones. giving a kid who's making, say, $27,000 a small bump to come to any paper is peanuts ... that and the fact if he goes into the place and takes a pay cut, well, he should get used to being their bitch, working 50 a week, claiming 40 and receiving a 2.5 percent raise at the end of his first year for his troubles.

it's why i should stay away from most recent college grads, i guess.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey hanzo, it's called my ass, put your lips on it.

if you're giving this kid that advice, it's obvious you run with the under-30 crowd or have never progressed further up the food chain other than writer.

8. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

This is quite a generality. I'd venture to say there are tons of small and mid-sized papers where giving that extra 3k is far from a given.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

buck, so does your paper. you have any idea where your publisher last vacationed?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then you'd generally be wrong. getting talent, no matter the circulation is worth 3k to any paper.

11. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

Yes, because every paper is able and/or willing to throw an extra three grand at every person they hire. Brilliant!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, send me a message when you grow up. i give.

sure (read sarcasm) an extra $1.22 an hour is too much to ask for on top of a $13-an-hour salary when you have talent. you shouldn't get paid for quality (read sarcasm) ... and shit, newspapers aren't used to paying for quality such as print stock, ink quality, advertising. no, the list doesn't continue to go on and on and on.

and, by the way (no sarcasm to read here), if a paper is that fucking cheap, maybe you should think twice about working for them. it should be a huge warning sign.

this is a prime example of why you folks here bitch because people in our industry are so underpaid, because you do nothing to help. while we're conversing, have you ever approached your publisher about bringing in the 'best' applicant who currently gets paid more than the job they applied for at your paper? ever make that case? ever hear the answer or are you just some shlub who's never been in a meeting discussing the salary of the new guy?

i thought so.

Draft saved Draft deleted