1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell's Kitchen -- anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The wedding planner guy was fabulous. He incorporated every single cliche you could think of .

My money's on the Rock but Jen's lurking in the weeds.

And not only is Melissa annoying as hell she looks like she just walked out of her doublewide. Good Lord, do something with that hair.

C'mon, does anyone actually believe that was a real wedding reception? Actors, all of them.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How in the fuck does Ramsay not make her tie up that mop of hair?

I have never, in any kitchen, seen a long-haired person allowed to wear his or her hair down while going anywhere near the food.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I could see how they migtht have advertised for someone to have their wedding on the show. They'd pay for everything, "surprise" the happy couple with a honeymoon, blah, blah, blah. It's Hollywood, you know someone will go for it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess you're right except I find the whole show so staged that I don't believe anything's real. But it's good TV.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This is my first season of Hell's Kitchen, and I find it appalling. Some of the stuff the host does qualifies as assault. You can't shove someone. And he makes sexist remarks. It's one thing to be an asshole, but this guy is screaming for a lawsuit. I don't know what these people have to sign before going on the show, but there's nothing you can sign that allows someone to do something illegal to you, such as shove you or scream at you so violently that you feel the need to take physical action.

But, of course, it's just a show.

And what a friggin' pitiful show it is. I mean, we have a group of girls where the most likely to win is a Waffle House cook. One girl pulls food out of the trash on national TV, and she's now being praised. Another girl clearly lied during one of the competitions and had the gall to flaunt her success for the camera. The guys are a bunch of pricks, and the only one who can cook is Rock.

Almost everything in this show appears fake and contrived. Certainly that couple would have made other honeymoon plans. If there was some pre-arranged deal, they should have alluded to that.

The sad part is that I'll probably watch the rest of the season now. My wife enjoys this spectacle, and I don't have the heart to tell her it's some of the worst television I've watched in the past few years.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, we thank you for telling us in no uncertain terms. ::)

7. HeinekenMan

This is my first season of Hell's Kitchen, and I find it appalling. Some of the stuff the host does qualifies as assault. You can't shove someone. And he makes sexist remarks. It's one thing to be an asshole, but this guy is screaming for a lawsuit. I don't know what these people have to sign before going on the show, but there's nothing you can sign that allows someone to do something illegal to you, such as shove you or scream at you so violently that you feel the need to take physical action.

But, of course, it's just a show.

And what a friggin' pitiful show it is. I mean, we have a group of girls where the most likely to win is a Waffle House cook. One girl pulls food out of the trash on national TV, and she's now being praised. Another girl clearly lied during one of the competitions and had the gall to flaunt her success for the camera. The guys are a bunch of pricks, and the only one who can cook is Rock.

Almost everything in this show appears fake and contrived. Certainly that couple would have made other honeymoon plans. If there was some pre-arranged deal, they should have alluded to that.

The sad part is that I'll probably watch the rest of the season now. My wife enjoys this spectacle, and I don't have the heart to tell her it's some of the worst television I've watched in the past few years.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And the second time was just for kicks?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Heinekeman

This guy is part of the "bad boy school" of chefs, popularized by Anthony Bourdain in his best-selling book "Kitchen Confidential".

Ramsay is (or at least used to be) a superstar chef in the UK

A lof of them are bullies and most of them DO scream like that at the staff--just so the worker bees know who's boss.

A restaurant kitchen is NOT a democracy and like the military, there are clearly delineated lines of command.

You think this is bad? You should watch "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares", a British TV production.

He calls men "stupid motherfuckers with no bollocks" and routinely refers to the women as "stupid cows" --and none of its censored--at least by Food Network Canada.
    And of course it's fake and contrived. That's why we call it "reality TV"

Many moons ago I worked in the restaurant of a four star Swiss Hotel--The Baur au Lac.

I watched the head chef slap a Spanish dishwasher across the face for talking back.

I saw him take a whole cutting board full of chopped onions and drop it over the line cook's head because they weren't chopped properly.

I saw him go fucking postal on a waiter one day because he made a joke about a certain dish.

The meek do not survive in this environment.

10. HeinekenMan

I know only one true chef. He left Key West and settled into a small Midwestern town. He's a pastry chef, but he knows how to cook some of the south Florida fare, which includes ethnic Cuban stuff.

I didn't know there was a precedent for asshole chefs, but the guy I know certainly qualifies. I frequented his restaurant twice a week for about a year, and he was arguing with his wife about half of the time. They ran a two-person operation. I hated eating there because you could hear them sniping at each other while you waited for your food.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not going to enjoy the show, but at least I'll know something about the attitudes.

I much prefer Top Chef. These Hell's Kitchen folks don't seem to be experts.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Heinekenman.

If you're interested in the subject, I'd recommond Bourdain's book along with "Heat" by Bill Buford who worked for another one of the bad boys Mario Batali.

Haven't seen Top Chef. Maybe I'll check it out.

12. HeinekenMan

Wow. If you haven't seen Top Chef, you're missing out. It's more about the food and the cooking skill. Hell's Kitchen, to me, is largely about customer service.

I might take you up on that Bourdain book.

Draft saved Draft deleted