1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell's Kitchen -- anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I remember we had a thread on this show last year, and was curious if anybody's watching again this summer.

Still enjoy the show enough to keep watching, but I'm struck by how useless most of the contestants on the show are. Just could not fathom them running a restaurant for a day, let alone as an actual job. It's good to pepper the cast with characters, but can they not find 12 people who are remotely capable in the kitchen?

Rock's going to win. No one else on the show seems in any way capable of the culinary knowledge or professionalism needed for that kind of job. To that extent, I'm disappointed. I just watch to see Ramsey scream "turbots!" every once in a while. Thoughts?

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I prefer "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" to "Hell's Kitchen".

Maybe it's because they show it on Food Network Canada and don't delete Chef Ramsay's calling one of the staff a "stupid motherfucker".

Way less staged than "Hell's Kitchen"

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I started a thread on it after the first week but even I forgot about it.

Rock is the only remotely capable one. Aaron was the most pathetic contestant in reality TV history. Bonnie has a nice butt, but that's about it.

Even Ramsay's mailing it in. All he's done is yell - remember when he used to teach them things? - and take the girls for lunch at some place with no lights.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Every Monday night. I stumbled across it two summers ago and have been enthralled by it since.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm rooting for Julia/Waffle House girl to win. Considering their experience, I can't believe how horrible they are in the kitchen. I don't even cook and I think I could do a better job.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think any of the seasons finish dinner service consistently in the first few weeks. If the boys don't finish dinner here this week or possibly next, that will be news.

But they always struggle, he always has some meltdown and tells them to bugger off, and everyone goes back demoralized.

9. txscoop

txscoop Member

Julia and every chick on there- annoying.
    Rock and every guy on there- worthless
    Ramsey- hilarious

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

got to be cheering for the waffle house chick

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Carnage on the chick's kitchen last night. Good to see Melissa gone, good riddance to that annoying voice and that under-the-lip beard thing she had going on.

Oh yeah, and there's no fucking way I'll believe the "wedding planner" was on the level last night. Surely he was some struggling actor type hired on to play the sterotypical effeminate wedding planner, although his little go with Ramsey was kind of funny.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The girl has a soul patch on her chin. It's all I could look at anytime she was on camera. That and a ridiculous amount of Cousin Itt hair -- I'm amazed that hasn't been a storyline yet.

Previews make it look like they're putting Rock at risk next week, but I think he's safe for the final two. And Huggy, I had the same thoughts about the wedding planner, or the entire wedding party. Who would seriously have their wedding reception at a reality-TV restaurant?

Most flagrant setup: Ramsey and the crew "surprise" the bride and groom with a honeymoon to Hidden Valley Ranch in Namedrop, Nevada. And off they go. Did they not have a honeymoon already planned? C'mon, writers, gotta pull it off a little better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted