1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello Friends: Official Masters tuuuuuurnament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Okay here we go, this is where the money has gone: -

Woods at 5/1 & McIlroy at 6/1 - win only - I couldn't bear it if they won and I hadn't backed them

Rose at 33/1, Garcia at 60/1, Snedeker at 80/1 and Oosthuizen at 90/1 - all each-way - all have a reasonable record round Augusta and/or have shown some recent form

Sang-Moon Bae at 200/1 - each way - because he has contended too much this year not to back him at that price

Peter Hanson at 150/1 - each way - I like the odds and he is the sort of player that will end up in the top 5 having flown under everyone's radar all week - see last year's US Open

That only leaves a couple of people in the field that I haven't backed and I don't see Sandy or Larry recapturing past form!!!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've got a check stub somewhere from the MGM when Tiger won his second Masters, at 2.5-to-1. You couldn't dream of a price that good for years after that. Seeing 5-to-1 now still looks funny.

Of all the other odds posted here, Rose at 33-1 intrigues the most. I'd never bet a first-timer.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/027649/brandt-snedeker/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Though I'm a seasoned bettor on basketball, football, baseball and the ponies, I've never bet on golf before. What do you mean when you say "each way?"

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

All holes filled with hot golf balls.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I get that, but four of the past five have been first-time Augusta winners.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rose at 33-1 seems like a bargain, especially after his win @ Doral.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sunday on the back nine at The Masters is one of the few "must-see" sporting events of each year for me. The course is so amazing, with so many risk-reward holes, that it rarely fails to produce compelling drama.

Recent winners have included Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman and Charl Scharwartzel, dispelling the myth that the tourney can't produce a first-time major winner. No clear cut favorite, but I like Luke Donald and Martin Kaymer as possible contenders.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A lot of books will give you an option to bet a player to win and then simultaneously place a second bet for that player to finish in the top three or top five (at lesser odds, of course), depending on the book.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No link here due to lack of access to Times Web site, but the article today on Randal Lewis, the 54-year old who's in the field for the first time because he won the Mid-Amateur, is really a nice story.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Evidently he was on the practice range at Augusta last week or the week before and Mickelson walks by and says his group is shy a fourth; does he want to play? How many times do you think Lewis is going to retell THAT story? Way cool.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My favorite part of the story was Lewis saying that during his early visits to the course, he practiced skipping shots across the pond on the 16th so he could do it the way the pros do during the Tuesday-Wednesday practice rounds when there are spectators.

Draft saved Draft deleted