1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas: anti-semite

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I doubt most here would see it as such, but thanks just the same. (If you strain just a little, you can almost hear the German marching band tuning up.)

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pulitzer Prize winner, Tom Shales referenced her anti-semitism back in 2008:

It's not like this is news. I didn't make up that Helen Thomas is an anti-semite.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Actually, her parents are Lebanese immigrants. You'd think a Pulitzer winner would be a little more careful with basic facts.

I'll ask you flat-out, YF: In your world, does criticizing Israel equate to anti-Semitism? If it is, just be honest and admit it.

Maybe you can point me to the paragraph in the piece where Shales calls Thomas an anti-Semite?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, what happened to the YF who said that one could validly criticize Israel? My moral compass is perfectly fine.

5. YankeeFan

Criticize Israel all you want.

Suggest that Jews should leave Israel and go back "home" to Germany & Poland? You just might be an anti-semite.

Take the side of Hamas & Hezbollah, you might be an anti-semite.

Suggest a moral equivalency between the State of Israel and Hamas, Hezbollah, or the PLO, and you might be an anti-semite.

6. fishhack2009

Whatever, YF. We'll disagree to disagree, I suppose.

At this point, the only people calling Helen Thomas an anti-Semite are you, a discredited right-wing pseudo-journalist, a right-wing rabbi, and some other assorted right-wing nuts.

If that's the posse you want to ride with, have at it. Just don't bitch when you wake up with fleas. :)

7. YankeeFan

Come on, you're not being serious when you use terms like government-military complex.

And to say that they're "as treacherous as the worst of Palestinians" is silly. The worst of the Palestinians are terrorists. Murderers.

8. YankeeFan

Which one of those is Shales?

I picked a Pulizer Prize winner. Someone from your profession. Someone I figured you'd respect.

And he said it two years ago, long before this latest statement from Helen.

9. dooley_womack1

Mossad is every bit the tactical deliverer of torture and cruelty that Hamas and Hezbollah are. it just happens to be on our side, and probably doesn't attack as many innocent people. I have no problem with the Jewish religion. I have lots of problems with Israel's military/intelligence system. And the PLO is the equivalent of Sinn Fein.

10. fishhack2009

I'll repeat: Point me to the paragraph in the piece where Shales calls Thomas an anti-Semite.

Hint: He doesn't. He has every right to criticize her views, which he does quite eloquently. But he doesn't throw around a loaded term like "anti-Semite," because that can get folks like us in a lot of trouble.

Some guy on a message board, not so much.

11. YankeeFan

How would you suggest they deal with people who would like to exterminate them?

That fire rockets at civilians?

That detonate suicide bombs in wedding celebrations, cafes, and discos?

That cross the border and kidnap, mutilate & murder soldiers?

12. dooley_womack1

Then don't suggest any moral high ground for Israel. It'll do anything to protect its country, by any means necessary, and that's fine with you. Fine. Just don't wrap Israel in lollipops and unicorns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.