1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heating duct help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Mar 24, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I decided to crawl under my house today for the first time. I discovered two of the insulated foil-like tubes that serve as heating ducts are severed. The cats that get under the house in the winter are probably to blame. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing and know how much it would cost to get those fixed DIY or by a professional? Any help is appreciated.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Duct tape, dumbass. :D

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Cute, but the extent of the damage looks a little beyond that.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Call a professional. Have him look at it and give you an estimate. Then you'll know how much it might cost.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can get that tubing at Lowe's or Home Depot at a reasonable price.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

"If you know what I mean. Nudge, nudge. Wink. Wink."

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Call a couple of pros. Be there when they do the estimates and ask questions about the process and learn as much as you can. If you decide you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, hire one of them.

I'm guessing the joints are most likely taped with foil tape, not duct tape. You can get that at home improvement stores also. Duct tape degrades over time.

Find where the cats are getting in and close that up now.

Edit: Whatever (dirt, debris, etc) is in the duct work is shooting up into your house, so clean anything out and get this taken care of. Make sure the cats aren't in there when you do :)

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Thanks for all the input.

I decided to go back under for a closer look at everything. It appears every piece of tubing came apart at the joints. The only way my small, one-story house was getting heat this winter was directly from the furnace vent itself. I'm going to call a couple of pros, but the simplest solution appears to be, as bigpern so bluntly put it above, duct tape it all back up.

How cats could have done this, I haven't a clue.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sleeper: Like the man said up there, foil tape rather than duct tape. One is used to hold ducts together. The other is duct tape. :D

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I reviewed the thread to jot down some notes, and noticed that. Foil tape it shall be.

Draft saved Draft deleted