1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heartbreaking story about another vet screwed by the country he defended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 20, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Autism, too.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The man's story is sad, there is no doubt.

I call it a bull-shit sob story because it is another one of these "let's find a way to say the military is evil without actually saying it and let's use one man's story to indict the entire system of VA hospitals" and after reading the whole thing again, there is no doubt that's the angle the authors were trying to take as it is very one-sided.

3. zagoshe

Wrong on both counts, dead wrong in fact.

But nice try.

I read that thread about Michael Savage's idiocy and cannot for the life of me believe he knows a thing about autism.

I think he really meant ADHD because if you take the word Autism out of his rant and replace it with ADHD, it makes more sense (that's relative I know) as ADHD did for a while become the disorder du jour for explaining away bad kids.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

As someone who knows one of the authors pretty well, I'd suggest that my experience contradicts your statement.

Kevin Maurer has been to Iraq 4-5 times, and from what I've seen, the soldiers with whom he was embedded have a great deal of respect for him and his reporting.

5. zagoshe

The fact that in this long story there is -- from what I can tell -- ONE sentence -- and it is buried and it is also hedged with a qualifier -- making a reference to the fact that this guy didn't do everything he needed to do in order to help himself and he didn't take advantage of everything offered to him -- tells me it was either poorly written and under reported, or written to illicit a certain message about the Army being evil.

Either way it is irresponsible reporting.

And if he wasn't getting the kind of treatment that he needed -- because he was "unable" due to PTSD --- then we should blame his family, and not the Army, because they were the ones who were responsible to MAKE SURE he got to the kind of treatment he needed.

And my first point still stands -- this story will resurface when one of the two candidates is looking for a sob-story to exploit for political gain this election season because that's how we do things here.

Draft saved Draft deleted