1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline style pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

looks like someone found a shortcut to fitting heds and now can't stop himself/herself from using it — everywhere

To shit, the Post heds have gone

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't like the headlines. People don't talk that way, and it's awkward for the reader. It creates an unnecessary break.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think Dyepack would agree with me, but I don't know why they even bother putting pictures or headlines on pages anymore. Shouldn't they just run stories and that's it? I mean, think about how much money they could invest on a third or fourth, or maybe a fifth guy who could cover the Redskins. That way the writers wouldn't have to write more than two stories a week.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Outing alert: SCEditor is the first ME I ever worked with, dispensing such fine advice as: "I don't want a page with just text." How helpful.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Those heads are atrocious.
    In fact, when I see that kind of writing in copy I change it and tell the writer to please stop writing "backward sentences."

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Despite the fact that I'm 24, which obviously negates me from being your first ME, the other indication that I wasn't your first ME is I would have fired you within a week of you working for me.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And wouldn't that have been a merry time of misrule.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Start a poll. I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority.

9. Outing alert: The headline writer for the Post is Yoda.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

As fun as that might be, I'll save it for another day.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Small point, it's Monday's paper.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I can just hear the "Duh ...................." as the genius came up with "The Block," "The Recovery," etc.

How f'ing hard is it to use a brain cell or two and think up something remotely clever?

SCEditor need not answer, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted