1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline style pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Nov 5, 2006.

1. enigami

enigami Member

Is anyone else growing tired of headlines structured with the prepositional phrase first, followed by a comma, followed by the subject, verb then object? When did editors start paying heed to prepositional phrases' complaints about always being at the end of the headlines? They seemed fine at the end to me. I suppose some variety is best. The Washington Post ran three of 'em today, and it just seemed over the top:

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Those all seem pretty bad.

It just goes back to the underlying decision to focus less on headlines and display type and more on other things.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup. I thought it all came back to that underlying decision.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Lots of helmets on this particular page.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good point. There must have been an underlying decision to do that. ;)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think it worked okay in the Redskins hed, but the Wizards one didn't need it. And the ACC one is brutal no matter whether you stuck the prepositional at the beginning, at the end or straight up your roody-poo candy ass.

I guess the prep phase up front is supposed to make the hed read more contemplative and thoughtful. Sometimes it works. Two out of three times on this front, it didn't.

(I think it works in my post because it builds to the payoff of "it didn't", but I'll defend my hypocrisy to the ends.)

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WTF? Did I miss a meeting? This design sucks, but it likely has little to do with the poor quality of the headlines. If the Post's guy spent more than a half-hour on that page, then he should be fired immediately.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

For me, the headlines work fine.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That's the result of having a full-column vertical rail and the decree for large art right in the center of the page. Doesn't leave a lot of options.

The Redskins headline is the best for that structure, but it's also the dumbest. The flaw, if there is only one in the Wash. defense this year, will of course be exploited by the foes.

10. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

What about the fact the Post is running MLS game stories on the cover of its Sunday page? I know it's off topic... but wow, do people in D.C. even care about the United?

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For the Post, a common headline style

They've been
    doing that
    for years,
    sources say

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They have a whole different way of looking at sports inside the Beltway. Yeah, United's huge there.

Draft saved Draft deleted