1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Covered a game the other night where one of the teams we cover beat the absolute crap out of the top ranked team in the district. A kid for the team we cover went off with 29 points, 12-12 from the free throw line. I was thinking of incorporating his name (Thompson) in the headline, but can't think of anything that's catchy. Any ideas?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Just don't use Thompson guns down Podunk High.

3. Unless this kid is extremely well-known in your area, I'd stay away from putting his name in the headline. If you've got a deck with it, that might be the place to include the name and his point totals.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Thomp-son of a bitch, what a game!

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Boom Goes the Dynamite

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great time for a deck hed for Mr. Thompson

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Playing off someone's name in a headline is never catchy, whether the person is known or not.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Buttmunch High steamrolls Shitstain Tech
    Thompson's 29 lead the Munchies

9. Hey! I graduated from Shitstain Tech and I can tell you we never get steamrolled. We just happen to be behind when the buzzer sounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted