1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline goes here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zufer, Jul 18, 2006.

1. zufer

zufer Active Member

Perhaps the most overused headline of all time.

Anybody have tips on how to stamp this out?

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/15049701.htm

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ranks right up there with "How the West was won" and "Simply the BEST" at my place. Followed by the dreaded "xxxxxx".

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Headlyne goez herre"

That will guarantee it gets caught by spellcheck, but what designer ever does that?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The lead was almost as generic as the hed.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was going to call it pitiful, but let's go with generic.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And in one fell swoop, ServeItUp answers the question and places the blame where it needs to be placed.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

This is going to break my rule of feeding the troll, but I'd like to go on record as joining the club of DyeFuck chiming in on every thread with his useless designer bullshit -- and no, fuckhead, I'm not a designer. (I will admit the minions set you up nicely here.)

I think, though, I'd be much less bothered by it if you just came out and told everyone here why you're so pissed off at the world. Where did you lose a job? Where did a designer mess up a headline for you? If it has to be through a PM, fine, I have no problem with that, and you have my secrecy.

I guess I'm just curious how someone could go through life as miserable as you are without having just ended his or her pathetic existence by this point.

PLEASE please please please explain your plight to me, sir. Please?

8. Ralphus

Ralphus New Member

This headline was a doozy:

http://www.regrettheerror.com/2006/07/oy.html

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Roasted Nuts.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You know, Dicky, I just can't figure out that revolver thing. I keep spinning the chamber, but then nothing happens. Doesn't matter if I put in five bullets or one. I always click on the empty slot.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's a few tips on how to stamp this out:

How about the dumb shit who outputs the page making a proof first so somebody else can look at it?
    How about the dumb shit who output this page taking a look at it himself before he hits the send button?
    How about COPY EDITORS writing headlines for a story, not designers putting dummy type on pages?
    How about just a tad of competence and responsibility before setting pages?

As the technology has improved, the quality has diminished because to many careless, lazy fucks don't do their jobs right.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Soon after pagination made its debut at the first paper I worked for, with all the page-building items on the side of each page dummy, we ran a quote pull-out featuring comments from

Tiger Woods
    White House chief of staff

Draft saved Draft deleted