1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headed to Philly/NJ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Jun 11, 2007.

1. chubster

chubster Member

What's there to do. I know about Geno's/Pat's battle and Liberty Bell. What else is a must-see/experience?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I hear West Philadelphia is a pretty cool place. Reports of sightings of royalty are common.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, "holsten's" is a must now. ;D

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A cheeseteak is a must.

(Not a Philly cheesesteak; that's like calling it British cricket.)

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Manayunk. Manayunk. Manayunk.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

There was a tread recently about how great Philly is; I think it has some good advice.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Manayunk, there were a lot of empty storefronts with the for rent signs in the windows.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How long are you there?
    My favorite part of Philly is the Old City. Wander around there. Check out Independence Hall and other historical sites.
    If you've got kids there's a great place called the Franklin Institute, which is a very interactive science museum.
    Philly's art museum is very cool. You've got the obvious front step made famous in 'Rocky,' but the museum itself is great.
    I grew up right across the river, but have never been to the Mutter Museum. It's high on my list of things to do during one of my trips to the East Coast, which I don't get to make as often as I'd like.
    Definitely go to South Street and wander around, although it's not as cool as it used to be. You'll find Jim's Steaks down there. It's better than Pat's or Geno's.
    Check out Penn's Landing, especially if there's any music going on when you're there. There used to be a great bar down that way called the Dicken's Inn.
    Depending on how much time you have, you can drive out to Valley Forge.
    Going to NJ is all about the shore. Hit AC and Margate, then travel over the Longport bridge to Somer's Point to get some top-gun wings at Charlie's. Then check out OC, get some pizza at Mack and Manco's.
    If you've got time, drive down to Cape May. Beautiful town, and have dinner at the Lobster House.

9. I have also heard good things about the playgrounds. Playgrounds so good you might want to spend the majority of your days there.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I agree with Buck on Old City and the Franklin Institute. The FI currently has a very popular King Tut exhibit, which might require advance tickets. I've been wanting to check it out. The National Constitution Center is also supposed to be cool.

I think Dickens Inn is still there, but I haven't been in about 15 years.

How long will you be there and what kinds of things do you want to do?

BTW, I'm FIRMLY in the Pat's camp, but would also recommend Tony Luke's for a roast pork sandwich.

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Best burger I've ever had was at the Standard Tap in Philly and I know my burgers. Pretty good eclectic beer selection too.

12. chubster

chubster Member

We'll be there about a week. Keep 'em coming, guys, thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted