1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headed to Denver for two playoff games ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by roxraidersfan, Oct 9, 2009.

1. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

and I haven't been to my favorite city in 10 years. Any places I should visit?

2. The Life

The Life Member

Get some green chile before and after the game. Plenty of good places across the entire city

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pack your longjohns. It's going to be chilly on Saturday.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Box me up a gift box from the microbrewery at Coors Field. I miss that place.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Illegal Pete's. Couple blocks from Coors.

6. My Brothers Bar, reasonably close to Coors Field, serves a mean burger and great pastrami sandwiches. Wazee Super Club, also close to the stadium, has great beers on tap and good pizza.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't vouch for the pizza, but try the 90 Shilling at Wazee. It's good stuff (as are all the other Odell brews I had in Denver.)

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

My home state.

For a good pregame meal (not great meal, but great margs, which will keep you warm): Hit The Rio downtown (Google Rio Grande and Denver).

For a good postgame brew: Taphouse. Haven't been there in years, but they have TONS of beer on tap.

At the game: Go to the Sandlot brewery. It's where Blue Moon was created and is a good place to catch an inning.

Good food: Cherry Cricket for a burger and beer. They used to have some sort of randomizing function for their burgers where they throw darts at toppings on a dartboard. Good times.

Good hangover burrito: Sams No. 3. Get the breakfast burrito. You're welcome.

Good breakfast by the stadium: Snooze. Get some form of pancakes.

Sushi: Gotten lots of recommendations for Sushi Sasa. It's downtown and I heard it's great, though I'm not super high on sushi (like it, just never seems to be worth the coin).

BW is right: Illegal Pete's is a cool joint. Good burritos in the same vein as Chipotle and QDoba.

Very jealous.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, better, and here's why: They MIX everything together before they roll the burrito. It's the one thing Chipotle/Qdoba, etc. get wrong. Love those places otherwise, but Pete's has them beat for that reason alone.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't advise you to go to Wynkoop Brewery and get a Railyard. Man, those were gooooood.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Yeah, pretty much any brewpub near that stadium is delicious. Never been to Wynkoop, unfortunately.

And Illegal Pete's is tremendous for a lot of reasons.. Mixing one, but they have better ingredients as well. I love all Colorado-style burritos (I have no idea if this originated in CO, but I know Chipotle did, so I'm taking ownership of it).

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What's the name of the bar that is a Red Wings hang out?

When the Avs-Wings rivalry was more prominent, I remember that Wings fans in Denver would always go there since it has Wings jerseys and the like hanging up.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Be sure to have some Rocky Mountain Oysters. They sell 'em at a concession stand down in the left field corner at Coors.

Draft saved Draft deleted