1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

What I heard was that 720 is fine if you're going with a set under 50" because the image isn't large enough that you'd notice the difference. Over 50" you'll definitely want 1080. And for what it's worth I'd be inclined to pay the extra and go with 1080. I'd like to think I'm buying a television that will still be working just fine when television networks start broadcasting everything in 1080. Along those lines, I will not be purchasing a Phillips or Magnavox HD television.

EDIT: done to get my post outside of the quotebox. That's what I get for posting from a cellphone.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a 1080 and 720?

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

It's a measure of DPI, or dots per inch(?). So 1,080 dots per inch is much more dense than 720, therefore a sharper image.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you can find a good deal on a 720 Wenders, buy it.

It will look great in your living room and will be 1000x better than an old TV.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

doesn't matter the size of the tv. if the only thing shown in 1080 is blueray and you don't have blueray, you're wasting your money.

the 1080 you spend extra on today will probably need to be replaced by the time the technology catches up and networks are broadcasting at that level dpi.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, that depends on the eye's ability to determine a difference between "really, really sharp" and "really, really, really sharp."

Reminds me of something a graphics person told me a few years ago.

We demand images in 200 dpi, but we are printing on newsprint (90 dpi). And once you exceed 1.5 times the number your presses use, you have reached the sharpness threshhold. 135 dpi is just fine, and no one can tell the difference between that and 200 once it reaches newsprint.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My living room TV crapped out last weekend and the salesman at Best Buy was trying to talk me into a 720 -- excellent deal -- but I couldn't get past the fact that it would be outdated before I got it home so I bought the more expensive 1080. Still, I wonder if you put the two sets side by side if I'd notice a difference.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How would it be outdated?

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I was always told to look at the contrast ratio. The higher the ratio, the better the picture. We have a 50 incher that is 1080i and has a 10,000:1 or higher ratio and the blacks are amazing. We always go with that first, then from there make decisions.

10. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

just bought a 46" 1080p 120hz samsung from best buy for $999.

love it.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Seeing as you just bought it, I would hope so

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don’t know if it has been mentioned here yet or not, but DO NOT buy the HDMI cable when you are at the store buying the TV. You can find HDMI cables online for as cheap as $15. Best Buy and stores like that charge way too much for them.

I have two 42" HDTVs at home. One is a plasma (Panasonic, bought 4 years ago) and one is an LCD (Sharp, bought 2 years ago). The plasma is better for sports despite being a 720 compared to the LCD at 1080, though I think the refresh rate on the LCD is a bit weak.

The newer LCDs are much better and much cheaper. You would be fine with either because they will be superior to what you have now. You are better off with a 1080 resolution and the higher the refresh rate the better.

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted