1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDMI connectors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sam Mills 51, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a little technical help here ...

I just jumped into HDTV (34-inch Sony XBR ... all the dependability and true color of the traditional CRT at a fairly reasonable price). Anyway, I've been reading up on HDMI connectors. My cable box doesn't have one, but there are DVD players on the market at a decent price that have the capability.

Does anyone else have it, and is it worth the extra bones? My current DVD player, a pretty low-priced piece, has only RCA connectors.

Have at it ...

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not knowing your financial situation, or how much of a videophile you are, I'd say stay away. Having said that, I'd change my mind if you've got a money tree in your backyard and use your DVD player every night.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

I used to sell HD shit at Best Buy for a year, plus I have an HDTV and use HDMI.

I won't get technical...

HDMI is the only cable that carries a true HD video and audio (not 5.1 surround) signal. Component (Red, blue, green) carries digital video, but no audio or HD. RCA (Red, White, Yellow) can hardly carry a digital signal. Neither can S-video or coaxial.

Your HDTV is only as good as its source (DVD player, HD cable/satellite) and what carries the source (HDMI cable). So if you want a good HD picture, then invest the $100 in an HDMI cable. Go with Monster b/c it's guaranteed for life, uses triple-layer shielding and will never wear out or let electrical interference fuck with your signal. I've got the 4-foot Monster 600 from my Upconvert DVD player to my TV.

Upconvert DVD players take standard definition DVDs and upconvert them to an HD signal. It's NOT true HD like the $500 720P Toshibas or $1,000 1080p Blu-Rays from Samsung or Sony. So don't expect fireworks or a perfect picture, but expect a good picture - better than a Wal-Mart special. Make sure your settings on the DVD player are set to 720p or 1080i upconversion - not 480p or 480i.

Also, your provider (cable or satellite) should let you switch to an HD box. For satellite it'll cost you about 100 bucks to own it. For cable, it'll cost 5-10/month to rent it. Your choice there. Satellite is always going to be better for HD becuase all of it's channels are digital, unlike "digital" cable boxes.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't know what HDMI is . . . but if it's the best, I gotta have it.

Right now I've got component video for the video and optical for the audio. Is the HDMI better? How much is it?

5. NDub

NDub Guest

What is your source of HD?

And is your optical running from that source to a surround sound system?

6. Longball131

Longball131 New Member

New to Sportsjournalist.com but a veteran when it comes to audio/video equipment like NDub working at Circuit City for almost six years.

Sam Mills: NDub said everything right when he was talking about what the HDMI connector/cable is and what it does. Get it. It's $100, sometimes a little more depending on how long you need it. Recognize if the TV has one or two HDMI connections. Most of the TV's have one HDMI connection, at least when I was working. In that case you are going to have to choose which source (TV or DVD player) you want to use the HDMI connection with. It's an easy selection, which ever you use more, TV or dvd player. Depending on where you live, the DVR HD boxes will have the HDMI connection. If you have the option, and again the money, go for it. You'll thank me and won't be able to live without it. Also, Ndub was also correct about satellite over cable. They have much better HD offers and also have perfect digital quality, oh and they're on average $25 cheaper a month than cable. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

LB,

Can you split an HDMI cable off the TV so that you feed both the DVD player and the TV?

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Right now, it's optical from the DVD player to the 5.1 surround system and RCA wires from the Dish HD DVR box to the surround system. Yes, I should upgrade that--the reason I haven't is because it's a gigantic pain in the ass to hook up new lines to the surround receiver, plus it's an older model and I'm not sure I've got another port back there.

9. T2

T2 Member

In my case, I'm looking at either component HD from my cable box or HDMI from an antenna and HD receiver. The HDMI is noticeably more pleasing, though it's hard to say exactly why. It looks to me as though the darker shades are richer.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I now know how computer-phobes feel when nerds like me talk computers. :-\

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Rosie! You are NOT a nerd. You are a helpful soul from the backwoods.

I will not stand for that sort of talk. Wont stand for it.

That grounding thing you are so fond of can work both ways you know ;)

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Source of HD is cable ... my apartment complex prohibits dishes and I have nowhere to hide one.

TV has only one HDMI plug ... and the cable box doesn't have one (used monster cable to maximize the connection), so I'll use mine for the DVD player. I'll use my cable more, but since the decision has basically been taken out of my hands.

Thanks. Good news is my stepfather has an HDMI cable that he's already said I'm welcome to. I'll have to get a new DVD player, but a good Sony with the needed outlet can be had for under $140 including tax.

mustardbased, I'm not a videophile extraordinaire, but since I've sunk the money into HDTV, I might as well make the best use of what I can. My roommate probably thinks I'm an overboard lunatic ... and I know he's a skinflint since he wants this stuff, then is trying to make me split a whole $7/monthly for the HD upgrade when he didn't spend a dime on this. (I need a new roommate ... )

Draft saved Draft deleted