1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HD TV help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BDC99, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry to start yet another HD thread, but I had this Samsung TV and loved it:

Unfortunately, I was robbeed and they took the TV and any other electronic devices that weren't nailed down. Deductible on insurance was too high to make it worth making a claim, so I just planned to replace it. A family member helped me out and bought me an Insignia in the same specs. The problem is that when I watch sports (baseball and soccer especially), the ball blurs out because the TV can't refresh quickly enough. I also got a new HD box at the same time because my house was hit by lightning a few days later <crossthread> and blew out the cable (Verizon). What can I say, been a rough month.

Long story short, I am not sure if the new cable box or the brand of TV or the fact that I used the cables from my old TV could be the culprit. The cables from the Samsung seemed much sturdier and it was easier for the cable guy, so I stuck with them -- would that make a difference? I tried the HDMI cable on the previous TV but couldn't get it to work properly because I (obviously) am not an electronics whiz. Any thoughts that could help?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you have the HDMI option, use it.
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What type of TV, 1080p, 1080i or 720p? I replaced my Sanyo that got fried from lightning with a 40-inch Phillips 120Hz LED-backlit LCD (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=40PFL7505D/F7&scy=us&slg=en)

I calibrated the set the best I could using the THX option on some of my DVDs. I also used "Digital Natural Motion" where the TV guesses frames in between the 30 frames per second used for broadcast.

Here's some info on 120Hz.

Draft saved Draft deleted