1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 20, 2010.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree on both counts. "Bankroll" is more straight-forward, whereas Pietrusza's "Rothstein" is more of a sweeping social history of the A.R. Era, so to speak. Both are good -- but Pietrusza's is good, and thorough [/lebowski], and the one I'd more strongly recommend.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My show once interviewed Steve Buscemi and we got a nice little factoid out of it.

My reporter asked him how he pronounces his name, and he said "My family and I say "Buh-semy," but everyone else says "Buh-shemy." "

Now go forth, and pronounce it correctly!

3. Based upon your recommendations - I just bought the Pietrusza book for $12 (includes shipping) from Amazon.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is that a factoid or a fact?

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Sepinwall tweeted that the show has been renewed already after debuting to 4.8M.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Linkage:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/hbo-renews-boardwalk-empire

Says it was HBO's most-watched premiere since Deadwood in 2004.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was just re-watching the episode and got to thinking, did people really think Prohibition would stop folks from drinking? "Oh, well, now that it's illegal I guess I'll just quit." Uhhhh, right.
    Obviously it backfired and exploded organized crime, which perhaps couldn't have been calculated, but surely no one was naive enough to think passing a law would put an end to alcohol.

8. 90 years from now people will be asking the same questions about Obamacare, Stimulus Packages and Cap and Trade. Surely, they will say, the people couldn't have been that naive?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There, that's better.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering why SPOILER

they killed that Caruso-loving guy.

11. So I'll put you down as a "Lips that touch Republicans will never touch mine" type of person

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And here ... we ... go...

Draft saved Draft deleted