1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO: "Generation Kill"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Did anyone else watch it tonight? I figured all the "Wire" afficionados would have a three-page thread by now!

It seems very promising. The first half-hour was pretty slow, but once the Rolling Stone writer came on board, and they started moving into Iraq, it clearly picked up.

Very entertaining. I think I'll watch it again just to get the characters straight in my head a little bit better.

As weird as this sounds, it reminds me a great deal of "Almost Famous."

2. John

John Well-Known Member

It's based on one of the best books I've ever read, and I don't say that lightly, so it would take a lot for it to live up to that.

I wasn't blown away by the first installment, but I'll probably keep watching.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing about the lack of posts on this.

The pacing had the same feel as The Wire. In both first episodes you spent most of your time figuring out who the hell everyboy was.

Some great lines, none of which I can remember now.

The end was pretty dramatic but since some people here might not see it until later, I won't say what it was.

The Sargeant Major reminded me of Don Rickles.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed about the book. Had to read it for a politics class in college and it blew me away.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Did I see Zig from Season 2 of The Wire playing one of the main characters?

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I think I just saw Officer Coliccio (sp?), too.

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I knew I wasn't losing my mind... (just my ability to sleep)

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Anybody else liking this as much as I am? Through Episode 4 it's been pretty outstanding, with some damn good lines tossed around too.

9. somewriter

somewriter Member

Solid show. But to be honest, I have trouble keeping the characters straight. That's probably more my problem. But they're all wearing the same uniform and several of the actors have similar appearances. So I get confused. Good writing, though.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem at times. The only ones I keep straight are the ones in the lead vehicle, Godfather, Capt. America and Fruity Rudy

11. Dwizzle P. Catfish

Dwizzle P. Catfish New Member

Outstanding writing. I'm really into it and have been since the second half of the first episode. The guy who played Ziggy in The Wire has so many one-liners and crazy theories that Evan Wright, the book's author, probably can't believe how lucky he was to ride in the same Humvee. The guy is a quote machine on Rip Fuel.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, that's who that actor was. Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted