1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hayes: 2nd best coach in college football hasn't ever won 10 twice in a row

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Jul 14, 2009.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And one of his alleged rising stars is coming off the worst season (3-9) in program history.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I wondered if it was too early for college football talk then I realized that EA NCAA Football '10 came out today.

So. . .let it begin!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Brian Kelly is certainly a good coach, and I'm happy how he was able to fix up the CMU program but he is not a better coach than about 10 other guys I can think of off the top of my head.

Les Miles, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel, Chris Peterson, Frank Beamer, Rich Rodriguez (hey its my list not yours), Joe Paterno. Okay only seven, but I'm sure there are more.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What does Saban not having back-to-back 10-win seasons have to do with Hayes' abilities as a researcher?

Are you saying that disqualifies him from the No. 2 spot?

Who would you put there?

6. The guys from USC and Florida are pretty good.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Matt Hayes is as good as anyone in the business.
    Saban won at Michigan State, LSU and he walks in and straightens out Alabama in 15 minutes flat.
    If Hayes thinks that's worthy of No. 2, good enough for me. Your preening post embarrasses you.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Florida gets a mulligan for a home loss to Ole Miss. USC doesn't get one for a road loss at Oregon State, or for a triple-OT loss at California in 2003.

USC had one loss in 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2008, and has consistently played the toughest non-conference schedule of any of the perennial NC contenders, has played a complete conference round-robin the past three years, destroys anyone it plays in BCS bowls, but somehow has only played for the NC twice in the past six seasons.

USC has lost ONE non-conference game since 2003, inclusive, to Texas in the 2005 national title game, on a last-second TD. It defeated Auburn, BYU, Hawaii, Notre Dame and Michigan in 2003; Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Notre Dame, BYU and Oklahoma in 2004; Hawaii, Arkansas, Notre Dame and Fresno State in 2005; Arkansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Michigan in 2006; Nebraska, Notre Dame and Illinois in 2007, and Virginia, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Penn State in 2008.

Many of those non-league games were on the road. USC has played ONE non-conference gimmie in the past six years: Idaho in 2007. Florida plays that many in one month, every year.

The problem is the system, not the Trojans. They could have defeated LSU in 2003 and Florida last year, had they been given the opportunity.

No other team in college football can match USC's resume. No one.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I assume you're only referring to NCAA Division I teams. There's a certain small school in Ohio that's been winning national titles in football with regularity -- Larry Kehres will begin his 24th year as head coach at Mount Union, and 35th year of coaching there overall, this fall. The Purple Raiders have won 10 NCAA Division III national titles under Kehres, with the first coming in 1993 (1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008).

Kehres is 275-21-3 overall, which includes a 61-10 mark in the playoffs (hey, playoffs -- there's a novel concept for another thread).

Yes, I do know there is a big difference between Division I and Division III. However, excellence exists at all levels, and when it occurs over and over and over at a level where athletic scholarships are not part of the equation, it stands out even more -- or should.

No, I'm neither a former player of his nor have I ever been a student at Mount Union. In fact, the college from which I graduated is not even in Ohio.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Saying Saban won at MSU when he didn't make a Rose Bowl or win a conference title and left the team a mess embarrasses you.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's Larry Kehres.

And one more note. Mount is 125-4 since the start of the 2000 season.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Carrol is No.1 hands down.

Meyer, Tressel and Stoops are my next three. Then Nick Saban. Chris Peterson is not far behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted