1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6.5 off the Big Island. One aftershock of 5.8.

I can't remember a quake out there before.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

CNN's saying no injuries reported, anyone hearing anything different?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That usually means 1,000 dead by tomorrow.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They certainly have them ... that's one of the most geologically active areas in the Pacific basin. On the other hand, I can't remember a quake that strong out there before.

5. MileHigh

That's what I meant. This size is what you see in California (I should know having grown up there), not way out there.
    Pretty much no power anywhere in the state.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Listening to the Honolulu tv station feed on CNN I thought they said the last time there was one this big out there was in the 1970s.

7. MileHigh

June 25, 1989: 6.1
    Nov. 16, 1983: 6.6 (same as today)
    Nov. 29, 1975: 7.2
    April 26, 1973: 6.2

8. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

KITV is streaming live over the net... apparently power is out on Oahu and the Honolulu airport is only open to incoming flights. With the power out, a lot of tourists in Waikiki are pretty confused I guess.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have a friend who just moved to Maui this week for a job. I can't reach her via cell, and the number in her condo is obviously out of service.

I spoke with the SE there, and he said it scared the hell out of him. They did the doorway thing, had things falling off the shelves, etc. He said they were asking people to stay off the phones, so I let him go. But Maui (I think) is the island just north of the big island.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

My nephew is on vacation there (Maui, I believe), and while I reached him by cell yesterday, I can't so far today.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My cousin is supposed to be moving to Maui this week. I haven't called him to see what he's going to do since I'm sure he doesn't know yet. IJAG, I hope your friend is OK.

12. MileHigh

Yes, it is. Honolulu/Oahu is 150-some miles from the epicenter and there is no power on that island, so I would imagine there is limited, if any, on Maui either.

Draft saved Draft deleted