1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having an older brother causes gayness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=45962

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The team stressed that even with several older brothers, the chances of a male being heterosexual is 95%. 97% of all males are heterosexual.

Only males who had an older brother from the same mother had a higher chance of being gay, said the researchers.

I guess I'm in the 95th percentile. I have four older brothers, two of them from the same mother. :D

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting, although it's important to remember it was only an increase of 2 percent. Not all that significant.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is interesting. You could also say having older brothers increases your odds of being gay by (if my math is correct) 40 percent.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey that's why I went into journalism and not a field that requires math!
    :mad:

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Which is why as a rule, I try to ignore stats in any medical study that I come across. Unless they're stats that justify something I do, of course.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I don't think 95 percent down from 97 percent would be a 40 percent increase. Maybe 4 percent, but I don't think 40 is quite right.

And I'm terrible at math.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you have a 3 percent chance of being gay without having any older brothers and a 5 percent chance of being gay with older brothers, I took that as a 40 percent greater chance.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

97% of males are heterosexual.

Is it me or does that "fact" seem rather high?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always heard that 10 percent of the population was gay. Though that seemed kinda high.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or the 10 percent number is off.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

10% is gay as in a generic term describing lesbians and gay men?

Still an interesting study to say the least. After reading that little PR piece ... I think about my best gay guy friends and out of the 8 that I know (and just love, especially when we go dancing :) -- 6 of the 8 have brothers. ... Interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted