1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to punch your competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would rather wear an orange jumpsuit when visiting my mom in prison than the colors of the team I am covering.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Ran into this issue a couple of stops back where the guy working under me had trouble accepting the fact I would not let him play or practice with the senior hockey team he was covering. Had big arguments over it. Kept telling me how he played for the junior team while covering them at his previous stop. I couldn't believe I was having to have the discussion, period.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This was 15 or so years ago. The SE of a weekly was writing for one of the area's dailies under a pseudonym AND married to the tennis coach. Then again, if my memory was incorrect, he was just a writer for the weekly double-dipping under a pseudonym for one of the dailies.

4. He had to be what 18-20 "when he covered his junior hockey team" and it must be the lowest form of junior hockey too. I can't see anyone making a line-change and telling their defensive partner that they have been traded to the Saskatoon Blades.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In my high school journalism classes, I don't even let kids cover their own teams (which is a pretty standard practice in HS journalism).

The pitcher for the softball team happens to be one of my budding writers. She actually asked me to not have her cover softball because, "what, am I going to interview myself on the bench?" Smart kid.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If I'm covering box lacrosse, I pretty much want to punch everybody.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He was 22. He was a goalie. He was playing junior B and writing about them. Then got a job at my paper, originally to do news then was moved over to sports, and wanted to do the same for the senior AAA team.

I'm pretty sure he's figured out now that you can't do that, but at the time it was like beating my head against a wall.

At my next stop, my predecessor competed in a tennis tournament, won it, and then did a story on it, complete with quotes from himself. No byline. This was in his first few months at the paper. He was roundly despised by everyone in the newsroom, but he somehow lasted like six years.

Draft saved Draft deleted