1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to punch your competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't mean metaphorically. I mean right between the eyes. Never thought this would even cross my mind, but there I was last night. I want to be clear, I didn't. But damn did it take some will power not too.

I was covering a box lacrosse game, which in my shop, a small daily, means shooting it as well. My competition, and I use that term lightly, a three-times a week guy that likes to run four and five day old gamers, was there as well. We call him clappy for a very good reason, because he cheers unabashedly, clapping and yelling throughout games. It's really quite embarrassing.

So in the third period as the home team scores to take the lead, Clappy is standing there, well, clapping away and cheering. I am standing there rolling through my photos to see if I got anything not saying a word, when the home team's PR guy, who was standing between us asks Clappy "Why doesn't Beef ever cheer?"

That's when I finally said something, saying "You'll never see me cheer at a game."

Clappy decides to chime in very mockingly/condescendingly "Beef does his best to remain impartial."

Took everything I had not to curse him out or deck him. Even just to smack some fucking sense into him. I was so pissed off. It became one of those can't say anything nice don't say anything at all situations.

I try to get along with whoever I'm working with, even if they are the so-called competition. I'm really an easy going guy. I have no idea how to deal with this asshole, unfortunately I see him at far too many things to outright avoid him.

Any suggestions?

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Punch him.

When I was still in newspapers, I had a Clappy around as well. He would high-five the basketball players through the layup line. Sometimes he sat on the bench during games -- soccer, hoops, etc -- especially if "his" team was on the road. And he wondered why I was cold to him. You know why, asshole? Because you had the gall to ask me for the job when our sportswriter job came open, even after you knew I had witnessed your Clappy antics.

Punch him.

3. You did the right thing. Stay professional.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

As much as you'd to, stay professional. Let him continue to be a no-talent assclown. His douchebaggery is apparent for all to see. That's punishment enough.

5. writingump

writingump Member

There was actually a sportswriter throwdown at the Arby's Classic in Bristol a few years ago between two worthless human beings. In the press room, after the games were over and while others were working on deadline. The tournament director jumped in and broke it up. I wasn't there that night to witness the fireworks, but from what I was told, both probably should have been tossed from covering the tournament's remainder because they were so far out of control. As for the thread itself, you did the right thing. No sense stooping to Clappy's level.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Feel free, if you think you need to, to speak with the PR guy in an email or phone call why you don't cheer during games. It seems he doesn't understand the need to be impartial. Otherwise he wouldn't have asked. You could also ask him to try to maintain a quieter press box in the future.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would assume since the reporter is also the photographer, there is no press box per se. The cheering/non-cheering is being done on the field.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sigh.

You remained the pro, Beef, and I identify with your situation. The last clappy I dealt with by continually kicking his ass from a competitive standpoint. Wasn't hard to do, but satisfying.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have said, "I do everything I can to act like a professional."

You can't let the idiots get to you.

Box lacrosse?

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Sounds like the PR guy is as clueless as Clappy.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

You did well and more importantly, you did your job. Let the ass clown remain an ass clown.
    I remember working with a co-worker who lost his damn mind every time he covered his alma mater. This jack ass would even cheer in the press box. The end for me came when he cheered a one-point victory during an NCAA tournament game from press row. I looked and rolled my eyes filled with no respect.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As a wise man said to me this past Friday: "There are douchebags everywhere. They come in all shapes and sizes."

I left out the part about "...I'm sure that JR guy is fond of you too." even though I think he is. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted