1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever traded a used car...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

...For another used car, as nearly straight across as possible?

Girl child drives a car that gets about 17 MPH. We would like to trade it for something more fuel efficient, but don't have a lot of extra money.

Her car is worth (blue book) around 10K. We have seen several cars that would fit what we are looking for but I seriously doubt a dealer would just exchange.

Selling it ourselves is not really an option as she has the car at college with her and is not anywhere close to home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

17 mph -- is it a one-cylinder car? ;)

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yeah, even the 3-cyl. Chevy Metro would get up to 50 ... with the wind at your back. (Actually, it would get up to 75-80, but not in a headwind. And you could easily get 45 mpg on the highway ... who needs hybrids?)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

...Or room for passengers and luggage?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

HEY! You could fit two (driver and a passenger) in the car comfortably.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like I said, passenger(s). Plural :D

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Is she still driving around that old Model-T?

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Yes...yes...yes...

You got me...17 MPG

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dealers will want to lowball your trade-in and get the max for their used car. So I doubt you would get a great deal that way. Never tried a swap.

What you might do is find a car you like and haggle out a price then tell them that you have a trade and see what the reaction is. But be prepared to walk.

What about buying the gal a car and swapping and bringing her car home and selling it at your leisure?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't get a Metro... I know they get great mileage, but I've seen those cars in accidents and they just get crushed... Get a used Saturn or something. Great mileage and it's actually a safe car...

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Don't trade in your car, unless it's worth $3,000 or less. Sell it yourself because you will get ripped off on a trade-in.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I can verify the crushed Metro. I played tag with a full-size van a few years ago with my Metro. I was pulling out of a drive, he was doing 30 or so. Metro was totalled; the van had a little bump and a couple scratches. I walked away unharmed.

Draft saved Draft deleted