1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Needed a Lawyer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, May 1, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Serious question. 30 yrs into it I’ve heard all the jokes and seen the movies but never get any real sense of what people think about my career in reality. Only feedback is from clients.

Do you have a view of what we actually do on a typical day, etc.

So I thought I’d ask. Thanks.

Liut likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Never once. I attribute that to luck more than anything.

wicked, Liut and qtlaw like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know that most lawyers work a ton of hours.

They need to, in order to take simple matters and make them drag on for years of billables.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Barely.

Used an immigration lawyer once. $1,700 and a little internet searching later, I decided I could do the rest on my own and save what would have exceeded $2,500 more to complete the process. Wound up paying $100 for a paralegal to look over everything I compiled and write a fancy cover letter.

Used one to get an apostille. Currently using one to handle probate.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Until a few years ago, all I knew of the law profession was from John Grisham novels and subsequent films.

However, becoming power of attorney for my now late mother and the current process of settling the estate has given me an appreciation of lawyers.

On a reporting level, I've always enjoyed talking to them. One guy, in particular, is a zero-BS cusses-some straight-shooter type of personality. To this day if I ever need counsel for a legal defense, I'm calling him.

EDIT: Also consulted an attorney for a book I researched and wrote. He was helpful, and did not charge an arm and leg.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Didn’t use a lawyer for my divorce. Really should have. That’s the one piece of advice I’ll give to my dying day: If you’re facing divorce, hire the damn lawyer.

Liut likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I bought two houses and sold one. I made a will with trust provisions for my children. I have used more than one lawyer. I'm surprised others haven't, just in the course of life.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The billable hour certainly has its warped incentives, but so do fixed fee arrangements. When I was in-house, I hired a well known firm to do a couple of arbitrations on a fixed fee basis and felt that they were always cutting corners. Then again, I’ve had matters where firms have billed ten of thousands of dollars on takers with marginal utility.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Being a lawyer is sort of like being a teacher but better paid.
    Everyone thinks they know how to do your job better than you until they have to try.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s very much relationship based and trust. I’ve always done my best to make client feel they are getting their money’s worth to extent possible.

First meeting, I’m not a cheerleader, drinking Kool Aid, saying everything is gonna be fine.
    secondly, litigation and fighting is expensive. But I’ll spend as little as possible to get you where you want to go. You want vindication? It’s gonna cost.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I litigated employment cases, except for high profile matters and class/collective actions, the amount of money it cost to litigate well almost always well exceeded what it would have cost to settle.

I had a sexual harassment/retaliation case for a large company which cost close to $1 million to defend and we won the case on summary judgment before trial. The plaintiff made $50k but it was extremely complicated and had a litany of depositions and discovery disputes. I had another ADA case which cost about the same because the former employee’s lawyer was a colossal asshole and dragged everything out. Needless to say, the clients were very unhappy despite us winning both matters.

It’s one of the reasons why I stopped litigating — I just didn’t love it and felt that I was always being unproductive.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup because of my sister's family's estates that I named a executor of in their wills. And the four estates -- well, more my sister's and brother-in-law's -- had A LOT in them and trying to sort it all out took a lot of work. And their lawyer was the one who wrote it up years earlier.

Multiple rental properties. A large business that we eventually sold with a lot of negotiations. But even as we went along in the process, other things kept cropping up all over the place.

She's a one-person shop and has other clients, but it's been a very long, very slow process. I get it. There's been a lot to it and it's taken years off my life, especially dealing with five other beneficiaries that has been more positive than negative.

No chance in hell I could have done it without her.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted