1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever known a murder victim?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jesus, that's some Tarantino shit right there.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's elderly parents were both murdered in their home — one shot, one stabbed — about three months ago. The next day, her son (their grandson) was arrested for the murder. He had their blood on his clothes and the murder weapons on him, so it's a pretty open and shut case.

Talk about a double whammy for her, though.

Two guys I graduated high school with are in prison for murdering their wives. One was trying to bury his wife's body in the septic tank when the police rolled up.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He was great in "Stripes," though.

[​IMG]

"Don't touch my stuff. If you touch my stuff, I'll kill you."

I guess someone touched his stuff.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Holy shit. My brother was the manager of an Arby's for quite a few years; he was in the store for two holdups. The second one, two guys in ski masks jumped him just as he locked the door to walk the 25 feet to his car.
    They made him unlock the door, open the register, etc etc. The only money they got was a couple hundred bucks in small change from the registers and 50 bucks from his wallet.
    They made him lie on the floor and then broke into a big argument with each other over whether to kill him while he laid there.
    One guy kept saying, "no witnesses," and the other kept yelling, "murder's 20 to life, you dumb fuck."
    This went on a few more minutes then they quit arguing, but my brother could still hear them standing there breathing.
    Then, while he still laid there, they took his keys, slammed the door and stole his car.
    Two hours later, while he was still sitting at the police station filling out reports, the state cops called and said they found the car burning in the middle of a farm field 200 miles away.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A high school friend of mine got stabbed to death by his brother in an argument over a poker game. The brother claimed self-defense and charges were eventually dropped, so I guess technically it wasn't murder.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why Arby's is struggling so much and closing a lot of their stores.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My brother doesn't think the robbers came from Arby's corporate, although he doesn't completely rule it out.

Batman likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think I've mentioned this one on the site before. The sister of a close family friend was the first victim of spree killer who shot five people to death and crippled another in 2000. His victims were all minorities. The first was a Jewish woman who had lived next door to his parents since before he was born.

I don't remember the victim, but my mother and other family members knew her. The victim's sister was one of the most decent people I've met and hearing her talk about what was done to her sister was just heartbreaking. I will never forget the one time she talked about one aspect of the case that was never made public. It was just a detail that made it clear the victim saw the attack coming and died in fear by the hand of a man she'd known his entire life.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Me too. I know at least three guys from my high school days who committed suicide. And probably not coincidentally, all were steroid users. At least two of them were heavily into it.

18 months?! Holy shit, that's awful. As is the entire story. Girl I've known pretty well since childhood spent at least 10 years (12, I believe) in prison for DUI manslaughter not long after we got out of high school.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I had a second cousin who lived in Arizona, while I lived in Southern California when we were kids. Our family would actually visit them periodically and they would also come see us. This was the cousin who was closest in age to me. So I felt at the time I knew her and her siblings better than most second cousins I had.

As we both grew up, our families saw each other less often. In the early '90s, when my parents were visiting me, my mom informed me that this cousin was strangled to death by her boyfriend, who then took her credit cards and fled. They were both in the Air Force and stationed in Las Vegas when this happened, and her sister actually ended up discovering the body.

Of course, the guy used some of the credit cards and was eventually caught and brought back for trial. Since it was two airmen involved, the Air Force was planning to do a court-martial after the guy went through a criminal trial, and the AF prosecutor assured the girl's mom that no matter what happened in the civilian court, the guy wasn't going to get a break in military court if found guilty, which was pretty much a slam dunk.

That became a moot point when the guy suffocated himself with a plastic bag in his cell while awaiting trial.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Son of a publisher I worked for.

Draft saved Draft deleted