1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Fished For Tilapia?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Friday night they'll be dressed to kill
    down at Geno's Bar and Grill
    The Kale will flow

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

...And blood will spill.

And if Lobo wants to fight, you better let her.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have way too many T-shirts, bt I wish I had that on a T-shirt.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Outstanding ;D

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Andy Rooney thinks Mushnick is a grumpy old man.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My Sunday School teacher's husband, who also was my shop teacher in eighth grade, turned our class on to pomegranates, FWIW. Freaky fruit.

For farm-raised fish, give me tasty catfish hands down.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just saw this. Thanks for that.

I had never eaten kale until a couple of years ago. It has become ubiquitous around here. We don't do anything crazy with it. I found something from Bobby Flay -- we blanch it, saute it with garlic and then finish it with a little red wine vinegar.

One weekend we did that, and the next day Ms. Ragu was Skypping with her mom and dad who are French and speaks only French. Their conversations always revolve around food, and she was trying to describe kale and couldn't come up with a word for it. It was pretty funny. I think the description she came up with wasn't too far from chou frise non-pomme. Kale was definitely something foreign to her parents -- and they know vegetables.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I always suspected you were a noodler.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Only time I have tried kale it was basically spinach, no?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not an expert on how to work with kale. I just do one thing with it. But it's a bit different than spinach. You can just saute spinach. Even microwave it. Eat it raw. I think people eat kale raw, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Kale is more like collards, mustard greens, chard. It's tougher and more fibrous. First time we bought some, I tried just sauteeing it. It didn't work that well for me. Now I blanch it first. A bit of water, cover it and let the steam cook it a bit before working with it. One thing I would have never thought of without Bobby Flay -- finishing sauteed kale with red wine vinegar works fantastically.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tilapia wouldn't have a chance, either.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife makes a tasty kale salad (there's seven words I would have never guessed I'd say five years ago). She dumps it in a bowl and drizzles on olive oil then massages the leaves for several minutes. It changes the texture, makes it very tender and it changes to a darker green color. After that she tosses it with pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.

Draft saved Draft deleted