1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever dealt with Greg Maddux?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agree with hockeybeat about Smoltz. And if you need another source, Bobby Cox has always been great.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

I've only seen him get testy once -- a few years back after Sammy Sosa hit a bomb off him in Atlanta. Someone asked Maddux if he knew it was gone as soon as it left the bat. Of course everyone in the stadium did and Maddux let it be known he didnt care for the question.

Other than that, I've gotten him 1-on-1 twice and he was great both times. Earlier this year I got the impression that he was trying to enjoy as much as the atmosphere as possible because he knew he didnt have much time left.

I agree with the above poster about Piazza. Trevor Hoffman can also be good. Can't believe someone said Jeter. He's cordial, but from my experience, he has about a 2-question limit, then he gives you a look like you best be on your way.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And the Braves are generally great about keeping assbags off their team.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hear Maddux is a great guy...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but thats pretty normal. And while you and I may feel bad for the local guy who has to try to be in six places at once postgame, most players aren't going to give a shit that you were late because you're a one-man operation...especially if they've already done the gangbang.

Can't dog a guy for that.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't dealt with Maddux in years. All the times I did, way back when, he was very gracious.

Was in a scrum after one of his starts. Told him afterward I needed a little more time for something longer but any time that week would be good if he wanted to do it later. He said he was going to disappear for five minutes, get his arm re-iced and he'd have to sit for a half hour. Why not just do it then?
    It was one of the better half hours of my career. Lots and lots of good stuff. I asked about his reputation for preparing and his alleged detailed knowledge about hitters.
    He said that was exaggerated. Said it was "a matter of knowing a little bit about them and a lot about myself."

Don Sutton said, "The guy can hit a gnat in the ass with four different pitches."

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Agree totally. Really, baseball's a lot like any other 700-plus cross section of people. I enjoy Maddux's dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

there was this one time, post-game...that he pissed on my leg...

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Aah, if only every professional athlete handled himself the way Tony Gwynn does. What a class act.

10. Dealt with Maddux for five or six one-on-ones. Tremendous each time. He'll put as much into an interview as you do, so if you've got your shit together, you'll get great stuff.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Did a pregame one-on-one with Maddux about a decade ago, and he was great.

From the Bizarre Things We Reporters Notice: Maddux and I talked for a solid 10-15 minutes and he had a dip in his lip the whole time, but (seriously) he didn't spit once until the interview was through.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How about letting everyone know how it went. I'm dying to know after reading about everybody's experiences with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted