1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been in a fight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is an offshoot of various threads, since there are (apparently) a lot of tough guys here.

I have been in one (real) fight in my life. Got my clock cleaned with one punch.

I don't count my six years participating in combat sports, or inciting "violence" by trolling drunk guys at bars, two staples of my youth.

You?

2. Does one punch even count as a fight?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My only fight in high school (if you don't count shoving on a football field or anything like that), I got my ass thoroughly whipped. I knew I was going to get my ass kicked, but I fought anyhow. It was a typical bully story. He wasn't bullying me, although I had had some incidents with him -- just words. But he started with a kid who grew up close to me, and who I had known since I was 5 or 6 -- and who was a fairly easy target for this guy. So I decided to have a fight. And got my face bloodied. The old adage that if you stand up to a bully once, they will back off for good held true. I never had a problem with that guy again once he knew I would fight him. ... even though he should have felt confident he could wipe the floor with me whenever he wanted.

The other one that comes to mind was about 7 or 8 years ago. I may have even posted about it on here. I was on the subway heading home, and I was wearing a suit. It was rush hour, so the car was very crowded. A loud, kind of scraggly looking guy, who may have been drunk, was ranting. If you have ridden the NYC subway, you know the person (roughly) I am talking about. Suddenly, my luck, he keyed in on me as the source of all of his problems. The subway car was body to body people, so I couldn't move away from him. And he just kept getting more worked up. When he said something about two Americas (apparently because I was the person wearing a suit), I didn't hold my tongue, and I said something like, "Yeah. There are two Americas. One with assholes like you, and the other for the rest of us." That got a few "oohs" from the people standing nearby, and the guy just stood there glowering at me. When I got to my subway stop, I had a bad feeling, so I stayed alert. I got off the train, and sure enough, he was following me. He telegraphed the (drunken?) punch so badly that it felt like it came at me in slow motion. I ducked it, and on instinct, in one motion I planted my right fist hard into his stomach. I think it may have been a perfect solar plexus punch, and he crumbled to the ground. A woman who had been watching the whole thing and had gotten off at the same stop, grabbed me by the arm and said, "keep walking," and led me away.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. I have four brothers.

My best fight was two of my friends getting into it with two guys and their girlfriends in a bowling alley bar.

I tried to stay out of it but ended up pulling the girls off my friends while trying to keep from getting my eyes scratched out.

Alcohol was involved.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I have four brothers, too, but they are all much older. Never got into a fight with any of them. But there's still time!

Ace likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Like since getting a high school diploma? Fuck no.

SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Countless street brawls when I was a kid, usually involving multiple people and off school grounds where you risked suspension. My slightly older brother was a nerdy, bookish guy with glasses who got bullied, so I needed to protect him pretty often. There was plenty of other stuff, too. Over the years I became pretty good in a scrap. Haven't thrown a punch since freshman year in college, though.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Got you both beat. I have five brothers.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Only once. This kid kept fucking with me in the seventh grade, so I snapped and punched him into a locker. Strangely enough, I was never involved in any other altercation after that. Got suspended for three days, but the whole getting through the rest of high school without incident thing was worth it.

Liut and Ace like this.
  10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not in 2017, but there's still time.

Ace likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Early college, but it was just dragging a drunk guy to the ice.

Four or five in all. Lost one (13 years old).

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Seems somewhat fitting given who provoked this topic, but my last genuine brawl (over two decades ago) was against a Canadian, in Japan, following a pickup basketball game that got way out of hand. It got quite bloody, and to my surprise, I fared well.

The other guy was one I'd liked and gotten along well with before that day (never spoke again afterward). Never once saw him toss any loudmouthed restaurant patrons through windows ...odd now knowing that is The Canadian Way.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    QYFW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted