1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been arrested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

In college I got pulled over coming out of the package store. I was 20 and had a fake ID.
    Cop asked me if I had one. Said no. He said "I'm going to search you and if I find one, you're going to jail." Handed it over. He asked where I got it. "Internet," which was a lie because my buddy down the hall made it for me.
    He walks over to the passenger side and does the same routine with my buddy. Asks if he has a fake ID. He said no. "If I search you and find one, you're going to jail." He hands it over. Asks where he got it. "Internet."
    Cop asks me for my license. I didn't have it on me because whenever I used my fake I was petrified of it slipping out of my wallet. Always left it at the dorm, but I memorized my license # because somebody told me if you new that they couldn't charge you with anything. Spit out the number, cop wrote it down, took our booze - a 30 rack and a handle of captain morgan - and went to his car.
    I have no idea how long he was in there for. It could have been five minutes, could have been 20. My buddy and I didn't say one word to each other. I was thinking about a buddy of mine in HS who got hit with a fake ID and he had his licenses suspended and hit with a $500 fine. I was trying to tell myself I could make that work, my parents would be mad but I would make it work.
    Cop walks up to my window.
    "Listen. You've got a clean record. Don't be stupid. If you want booze, have some who's 21 buy it for you. I'm keeping the IDs and giving you a ticket for driving without your license. I don't want to see you again."
    My buddy and I looked at each other stunned.
    We drove back to our dorms and retold the story to our dormmates.
    As we told of our journey, the kid who made the IDs made us two brand new ones and we went to the bars that night.
    We still tell that story over beers and my buddy always says the same thing - "To this day I'm impressed you knew your driver's license number."

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually arrested and prosecuted or just thrown in the drunk tank overnight?

Yes to both of those.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It absolutely is. I was perhaps one step from getting shot. That shit ain't cool. They'll just have to take their chances in traffic if they want to pull me over from now on.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Arrested? No.

Hauled away by the Secret Service? Yup.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, would love to hear that story...

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Back in college in Chattanooga I was out for a spin on my road bike in town when a guy cut me off; I shot him the bird and kept rolling on. Immediately I hear a siren and look behind me and realize I'm getting "pulled over."

The cop came screaming out of car with a full head of steam, furious at me for shooting the bird at a guy. I was exhausted and furious for nearly getting killed so I completely lost it. Once my rant was over, I was in handcuffs in the back of the patrol car and not 1, not 2, but 3 more police cars had arrived including the watch commander. Ridiculous shit.

But lucky for me, the watch commander knew that the original cop was a hot head and assumed I'd been provoked so he let me go with a warning.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Actually got pulled over and got a moving violation on a skateboard once. True story. I was about 17. Was riding home from the local beach at night and my buddy was on the bicycle. I didn't want to ride on the bumpy wooden pedestrian bridge on the skateboard, so I took the concrete bridge span. Bridge was probably no more than 100 feet long and there was zero traffic. Just so happened a cop saw me and gave me a ticket. I was terrified to head home, but the guy my mom was dating at the time, who happened to be one of my old football coaches, was there with my mom. He laughed it off, told me the cop was an idiot and paid the ticket for me.

8. inkstainedwretch2

inkstainedwretch2 New Member

Twice, luckily during the pre-Internet era.

Best one was for breaking fire closurte. Forest Service had posted the closure after we were halfway up the cliff (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Deputy drove up about 30 minutes later a spotted us a couple hundred feet up the route.

I thought it was the voice of God when I heard what sound like His thunderous tones: "You must come down at once." A WTF moment. My partner yelled up to me it was just the cop on his PA. I continued across a dicey traverse to the next belay point, from which I attempted to tell the deputy we'd be down once we reached the top.

Got down to an unhappy deputy. Spent several hours in the local jail before being released.

Luckily there was no herbage in my partner's car. Became known as the Great Castle Rock Massacre.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My in-laws were picking the wife and I up at the airport. My mother-in-law drove my car so we could just drive home, and my father-in-law drove their car. They ended up parking about 50 feet apart (maybe 3-4 car lengths) in the loading/unloading zone because of traffic.
    As we're transferring some luggage, and running back and forth between the cars, we lingered a little too long at one of them. Like, maybe spent 30 seconds or a minute at one of the cars, still within sight of it and still close enough to quickly walk over and ask what the deal was while the dickish airport cop was writing out a parking ticket for "abandoning a vehicle."
    We tried to tell him we were never out of sight of the car, and were maybe 20 steps away at all times. No dice. Asshole wrote it out on my father-in-law's car. Just a $25 ticket, nothing major, but still ridiculous. My wife and I went to the chief of the airport police to complain, but it was just screaming into the wind.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This didn't happen to me, but it is such a good story that I have to share.

My friend was partying in Madison, Wisconsin for Halloween weekend and the Michigan State vs. Wisconsin football game. He walked out of a bar with his beer to talk on the phone and was arrested. He had to go into the temporary holding cell which was a parking garage with fences and benches that was set up to hold the rowdy drinkers.

Best part is, my friend was in his Halloween costume which was an orange prison jumpsuit that said "PROPERTY OF EAST LANSING CORRECTIONAL FACILITY" on the back. He paid the fine and was released in time to go back to the bar.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

There's an Ingham County Jail. I grew up in EL and I'm pretty sure there's no "East Lansing Correctional Facility." I guess that's part of the costume?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, one place I worked was about 3 miles from where I lived. But at 1 am there weren't many cars on the road. Got pulled over for tickets three times in a 14-month span. Little stuff... broken tail light, expired tags, etc. Eventually figured some alternate routes to drive to get home and would change them up so as not to establish a pattern. Figured that town might not be the best place for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted