1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been arrested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I got into a screaming match, toe to toe, five minutes, with a traffic cop last year.
    I didn't get arrested. Surprising at first, since he was full of Gestapo shit. ... Surprising anyway.

It was an interesting traffic stop. I knew my rights, and he didn't like that. Pretty scary, actually.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I got arrested. Refused a cigarette from a fellow prisoner because I want my lungs to be pink when they fry me.

I told them I didn't want a lawyer ... lawyers are for sucks!

OK, I've never been arrested. Had some close calls in college, but never the real thing.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Never arrested, but pulled over quite a bit for a couple of weeks way back when I started as a sports writer because ... yep, the newspaper was next to a bar. After a few weeks, most of the cops knew me and my car. Never had a problem after that. I wouldn't have been caught dead in that bar anyway.

Also, when I first moved to Idaho, I was pulled over because I only had one license plate. Literally a week from arriving and hadn't gotten new plates. Cop didn't believe me that Alabama only issued a rear plate, gave me a warning to get Idaho tags soon anyway.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Two pages in to this thread, and no one admits to receiving a bubba prison assfucking. Yet.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, all my brushes with the law have been alcohol related; not a single one while smoking pot.

Here is a nice one...

My senior of high school we used steal fire extinguishers and blast the shit out of people and things with them. It was a group of about 15-20 of that would do it. One of my buddies actually went through the drive though of a McDonald's drive through and blasted the shit out of it. Closed the lace for a few hours. We were young, dumb and full of...

Well like all idiot high school kids our behavior was escalating, and one night we decided it was a good idea to do a "ghosting" in a Circle K. Well I was on the side of the store with my buddy Jeff and Howard and Matt were in the car about to join us. Of course, this is not a quick process because we were taking our time trying to get our courage up to do this.

While were are gaining courage, a cop car rolls up on Howard and Matt. They are immediately bagged. My thought process is stay or run, and I glanced to see what Jeff was doing. He was sprinting the opposite direction, so I ran too. We got away. I am unsure if they ever chased us, but we got away. Three of us were over 18 at the time and Jeff might have been, too.

Well in jail that night, Howard sang like a bird. Names and phone numbers of me and Jeff. Matt was in his cell mumbling over and over about how his dad was going to have his ass. I guess Matt was really over the top and over reacting to the situation even though all of us were facing felonies for endangering the lives of people that should have been protected from the fire extinguishers we stole.

Well the cop finally tells Matt this really is not that bad and not that big of a deal.

"But you don't understand," said Matt. "My dad is Judge Simpson of the Arizona State Supreme Court."

Nothing ever came of those shenanigans. I truthfully answered some questions over the phone the next day, and that was it.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You were taught how to bake cupcakes in a CJ class?

7. One arrest. Several close calls and a few in rides in the back patrol car.

Never been in a jail as a prisoner.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I haven't, but I gotta share a bachelor party story from Bourbon Street ...

Me and a half-dozen friends are down there and several of them have a trick they've been playing since middle school -- "good game." You know, a quick baseball-like pat on the butt. They'd do it to each other at random times and target strangers. Har-dee-har. Well, one drunk friend challenges another on Bourbon Street to "good game" the guy in the blue shirt up ahead, he looked like an off-duty mall cop. So the friend dashes in for a quick pat and a split second later feels his arm twisted behind his back and pulled to the ground. Two more blue shirts swoop in. Nope, not mall cops -- New Orleans PD. They pinch him for public drunkeness, resisting arrest and assault. No arguing the first charge, but resisting arrest was from flinching when his arm was pulled back (a natural reflex) and assault was for the "good game". Sheesh.

Bail was a pretty penny but fortunately we were all in on a huge roll at the Harrah's craps tables the night before, so we pooled our $100 bills and got our man out so we could all fly home together.

His hearing was a couple weeks later and the judge called him at his newspaper office up north -- one of the cops showed up at the hearing with his ARM IN A SLING. This was pre-Katrina New Orleans and the corrupt cops knew how to shake down drunk tourists. So the judge said his choice was to come down for another hearing, try to argue against the cops and lose, or just pay the cop's medical bills and have the charges dropped.

A few more thousand bucks later, the ordeal was over.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Never come close to being arrested (not to say I haven't deserved it for drinking and driving in my younger days). Haven't had a speeding ticket since 2007. I get an occasional parking ticket and pay it right away. I'm a bore. Or a square (or rectangle): [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Never even close.
    Fart is actually a solid citizen in real life.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath. Boots is long gone from this board.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somehow, no.
    Went through a juvenile delinquent phase in my teen years. It was really just hanging out with a few neighborhood idiots more than training to be a future criminal mastermind. Egging houses, miscellaneous mischief, some minor shoplifting, things like that. I got hauled home by the cops a few times for even dumber shit than that, though.

Once was an afterschool fight I got goaded into once, and one of the neighbors saw a bunch of kids in an alley and called the cops. I got a bloody nose and broke my thumb (I won the the fight, but the other kid got in one good punch at the start), and the cop still tracked me down three blocks away and 30 minutes later and brought me home. I told her the guy gave me a bloody nose, figuring it'd at least make things a wash, and she just said, "I don't see any blood."
    Well, no shit Dick Tracy. It'd been a half-hour or more. I cleaned myself up.

Another time, my friends decided it'd be fun to pull the old switcheroo where we all tell each other's parents we're sleeping over the other's house, then wander the streets of suburbia all night. It worked until we went into a 7-11 around 2:30 a.m. and either the clerk called the cops or they just stopped in for some coffee.
    On the way home, the cops tried to talk to us about how many drunk drivers are on the roads, how dangerous it was, etc., and how "This is their good deed for the day."
    Yeah, right. He didn't have pissed off parents waiting at home.
    I'll never forget watching Super Bowl XXV in almost total silence with my dad the next day.

The most serious thing we did, though, should've resulted in charges but didn't. We broke into a friend's house while they were on vacation to steal a Mickey Mantle baseball card. Got busted when either the neighbors called the parents, or their mother's boyfriend (who we didn't know was home) heard us and figured out what had happened.
    In any event, it was settled via a parental meeting. There were four of us, and we all had to pay $45 (the card was valued at $180), which I remember thinking was bullshit because we returned the card the next day. I didn't realize how lucky I was, just that it felt like an injustice and $45 might as well have been a million to a poor 13-year-old kid.
    Not long after, I finally stopped hanging around with those guys. They started getting into some more serious theft when they got to high school, to the point of organizing a shoplifting ring. They'd plan trips to department stores to steal clothes -- really sophisticated plans with decoy shoppers, bags from other stores and tools to take off the security tags -- and sell the stolen clothes at school. They invited me on a couple of their trips, but I kind of saw the road that would've taken me down and declined. Other than some speeding tickets, that's as close as I've gotten to leading a life of crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted