1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been arrested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2014.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

After my run in for the cops, I took a criminal justice course which helped immensely. From then on, the cops loved me. Like this one time, huge 4th of July party. Cops called. Party is raging. I answered the door with a plate of cupcakes and brownies. Handed them to the cops and asked them if I could get them a burger or a brat off the grill. They declined. I told them if they got off early they could stop by for a drink or more food later. They declined, but took the baked goods and didn't come back for the rest of the night.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Original Coors, with the pop tops, was ambrosia.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Never arrested but I was with my younger brother when he was.

We were leaving Zuma Beach in Malibu when we were pulled over in the parking lot for expired registration. My brother, who was just short of 18, was driving, I, 21, was in the passenger seat and a friend my age was in the back.

The cops searched the car and found some coke in my brother's bag under the driver's seat. They arrested him and threw him in a cell at the local jail, wearing just a bathing suit.

Our parents were out of town and the cops didn't want to release him to me until I called the attorney father of a friend and he talked them into letting him go.

My brother told my parents the "someone must have put it in my bag line," which was bs. They pretended to believe but I don't think they did.

Fortunately, he was still a minor and I was not driving, or things could have been worse. His lawyer was going to claim illegal search, which it was, but the charges got dismissed because the case took too long to get to court.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Another time I was pulled over for speeding and was surprised when the cop got out of his car, gun drawn, ordered me out and searched my car.

A couple days later, an officer left a note on our front door stating "Mr. M, please call the station regarding your recent ticket."

I was told that the cop drew his gun because my car backfired when it stopped and he thought I may have fired a weapon. Someone who lived nearby called the police station because they heard the pop and saw the cop with gun in hand, and thought he may have shot at me.

I had to let the police know that their officer didn't shoot me, but they still didn't dismiss the ticket.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Was about 17 or so, hanging out in a popular spring break spot on the beach where people just walked around and acted like idiots and drank beer underage. Including me. Was with a group of friends who liked to get into a little trouble (including me), and they talked me into starting a fight with a guy who had allegedly said something or looked at me wrong. I took the bait and followed the guy down the sidewalk, trying to get a response. Pushed him or slapped him in the back of the head, not hard enough to do any damage. He didn't respond to that either, so I gave up and went back to carousing. As we are heading to the car a few blocks away, I see the guy and his friend across the street talking to the cops. Walk faster. Shit! They call me over and question me for a second. I didn't say much, and they read me my rights, cuffed me and said I was under arrest for robbery. Uh, WHAT? Guy said I had stolen his sunglasses. I most certainly had not, and had no such thing on me. But I was booked, my parents refused to drive up to pick me up, and sent my sisters for me instead. Scared the shit out of me. Ended up in a program for first-time offenders, got some probation and had to write the kid a letter of apology. Didn't really learn my lesson, since I kept hanging out with the same guys and getting in some other relatively minor troubles. But nothing else I really want to share here except to say no one else was harmed.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I haven't, but these are some good stories.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Early 20s, bounced a check ($15.60 ... funny how the details linger) and then dicked around and didn't take care of it. In an absolutely stunning development, it didn't go away on its own.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My last shop was a 25-30 minute drive home, from a town of about 16K to 70K. Shocking how many times I got pulled over in the rural county compared to the bigger city. It was pretty much once a week since a bar was next door to the paper and I always was parked out front since I pulled into work at 5 p.m. and left around 1 a.m.
    I finally sacked up and told the cop (after they had given me a drunk test and breathalyzer and blew a 0.0) to leave me alone or I would call their boss to complain.
    Didn't get pulled over again. The funny part? I started to go to that bar after work and have a few. Probably got away with slightly over-the-legal-line drunk a few times after that!

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Never arrested, but took a trip to the police station when I was 3 or 4 years old. Before I started grade school, I would spend a lot of time during the day at my great grandma's house. One day, we went to the grocery store and I remember the store manager coming up to us with the police and telling us we needed to go to the police station. I was young enough that the details are very fuzzy, but I remember my great grandma telling me she accidentally ran over someone's foot in the parking lot and we had to go to the police station as a result.

IIRC, the cops let my great grandma to follow the police car to the station. I vaguely remember sitting at the station and being scared that we were going to jail, but my great grandma filled out paperwork and we went back to her house.

I never thought all that much about it until I took my first solo trip back to my hometown. My mom, dad, and I moved away when I was 4 or 5. My aunt and her friends start telling a story about my great grandma being a kleptomaniac that would always slide a few items into her purse at the grocery store. Apparently my great grandma didn't run over anyone's foot, but was caught with a T-bone steak in her purse. Imagine my shock 16 years after the fact.

I still laugh at the incident in hindsight. Apparently, the old lady couldn't resist stealing groceries. She had money, but had a problem bad enough my aunt said she stopped going grocery shopping with her. My great grandma was the kindest lady and the image of her being a petty thief still makes me chuckle.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

ucacm's story reminds me of my college days.

From 2000-2002, my roomie and I always went shopping together and just split the bill since we pretty much ate the same stuff.
    Our cart was full, so I slid some pop and beer to the bottom part to make room.
    We got to the car and realized we never put the pop and beer up to be scanned. We laughed, put it in the car and considered it a lucky break.
    The next time we went, we tried it again. 2-for-2.
    We did it a few more times, with pizza, a leg of lamb!, and whatever else we felt liking stealing.
    One time, he didn't go with me and I did it. I got to the parking lot and got caught by the undercover cop that was trailing me.
    I guess they had gotten tipped off that we were doing it.
    They pulled me into the office and there was my mug shot from my column (I was already out of college and working at my first paper) along with my engagement announcement. That was embarrassing. They kept the cops out of it and just made me pay for what I had taken that day.
    I got off big time on that one.

I didn't go back to that store in my hometown until just last week, I've been so scared of going back in there. No incidents in the checkout at least! LOL

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No, but there was a close call.

Back in my college days, when I was much more politically active, the KKK decided to use the Illinois state capitol in Springfield for a rally. A bunch of us lefties went down there to "shout down the Klan," and were chanting away in the protest pen they set up for us and a few hundred of our friends.

Everything was cool until a couple of Skinhead types decided to come into the protest area and mix it up. I did not participate in the fight, but was adjacent to the main combatants. Cops descended en masse and hauled everyone in the immediate vicinity of the fight to a command post area off the capitol grounds.

In the end, only the main combatants were charged ... and I just had my hands bound for a short time before I was released.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

no major convictions and no legal trouble other than a few parking and speeding tickets, but have had several run-ins with the Po-Po.
    Back in college my girlfriend goes for a run and in the middle of it gets a migraine. She calls me for a ride, then goes to lie down on a bench outside the student union to wait for me. I pull in the parking lot a few moments before the campus cop, who for some reason decided that girl on bench+guy picking her up=domestic dispute. She separated us and questioned both of us about the 'domestic violence' that was taking place and was absolutely not satisfied with both of us telling her she was a fucking idiot. It took a good ten minutes, but eventually she realized I wasn't beating my girlfriend and let us go on our way.

Draft saved Draft deleted