1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we really reached the point where it's OK to leak an athlete's medical chart?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I can't see a scenario in which he would release this information. This only hurts his chances of getting a better deal with the Giants. My bet is the Giants got the chart either through JPP or from someone else and sent it along to Schefter.
    But I wouldn't put it past ESPN to have paid some med tech to give it to them and that is just gross.

2. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I don't see a problem with reporting on the facts, which is Jason Pierre-Paul had his finger amputated, and then cite the source.

That said, I have a problem with publishing the medical chart. If you look very closely at the top of that tweeted photo, there's a 65-year-old male patient on top of Pierre-Paul. I'm sure that gentleman didn't want his procedure made public.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. And yes, Schefter really did nothing ethically wrong here. It just seems unnecessary to put the actual document out there.

4. schiezainc

"F**k him. That's what he gets for getting a medical procedure done. This shit is journalism. Deal with it." - LTL

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was thinking this as well.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You also missed the day when they discussed public figures.

I assume you were trying to get your girlfriend laid.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. schiezainc

Just so we're clear, that was your attempt at humor right?
    For someone professed to be a "long time listener," you sure do run your mouth an awful lot. Looking forward to the day when one of your posts actually advances a discussion.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know if I noticed it in an earlier version or what. But they don't seem to be heralding the tweet of the health records.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Documents not already in the public purview are fair game, especially if it is of greater interest to the public. For example, the Pentagon papers were classified documents where the leaker could easily have gone to jail for giving them out. But the Times was protected because of the first amendment. This case is different. Medical records are not really of public interest and unless JPP realised it himself, whoever gave it to Schefter could be in for a world of trouble.

I'm not even sure if Schefter of fully in the clear. The first amendment only goes so far to protect a journalist and privacy violations aren't always protected. This may be one of those things you can't do and get off Scott free. Even public figures aren't 100 percent fair game. That's why websites were being threatened with lawsuits for releasing nude photos of celebrities. We'll find out in the coming weeks what comes of this.

Medical records are one of those I don't want to screw with. There's just no need to put it out there. Why not say "according to documents viewed by Adam Schefter" or "according to sources with access to medical records"?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    schiezainc likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How does it hurt his chances? Were the Giants not going to notice his missing finger?

Tarheel316, Ace and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted