1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we reached the breaking point on Sulking Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is kind of interesting, because while there are no shortage of dickheads in most major sports, most top quarterbacks at least are perceived as being pretty good guys...

The exceptions seem to be Vick, Roethlisberger and Cutler. Rivers has always kind of struck me as kind of an asshole, but you don't really hear about it. And with Vick and Roethlisberger, it's more about things they did away from football. It's pretty rare for a starting quarterback to be so widely disliked by fans, teammates, media etc..., and if you think about it, Cutler didn't kill any dogs or rape anybody...

I'm not saying all these guys are the greatest people in the world, but both Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees and if you go back a little bit, you could say the same about Elway, Young, Montana, Aikman, Marino (to an extent), Esiason, Kelly were perceived as being pretty good guys. Favre was a dick, but he wasn't widely perceived that way until he got to New York and Minnesota. He was also a dick who was beloved by a lot of the national media.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those guys were just smart enough to realize that dealing with media is as much a part of a quarterback's job as is learning where the receivers are going to be on a blitz. It probably shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Cutler hasn't learned that and it makes his life a lot harder.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's more a case of Cutler knowing this but not giving a shit.

4. LongTimeListener

Tomato, tomahto. But I don't think a lot of those other guys got a warm fuzzy about their media responsibilities. They just figured it's easier to check off the box every week than piss and moan about it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Very true.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The flipside to this is that responsible media shouldn't target guys just because they're dicks in an interview situation. What happened with Cutler is no different that what happens with Manning and countless other QBs over the course of a season or a career.

7. LongTimeListener

You can't fight City Hall, and I don't know of anyone who has won a fight like that with the press corps.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Cutler basically has. The only two Chicago guys writing about it, Morrissey and Rosenbloom, are hacks.

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert basically said Cutler would need to take a giant shit on the sideline to move the needle now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47265/nfc-north-first-quarter-stock-watch

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure you can blame Cutler for some of the coaches he hasn't gotten along with... McDaniels, Martz and Tice.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would have given lots of money to see the look on Cutler's face if he would have thrown 5 INT.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cutler can't get too comfortable yet.

Given the remaining schedule, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bears race to 6-2 or 7-1 and raise expectations to where they shouldn't quite be, and then comes the backlash in the second half.

12. LongTimeListener

Saw some stories yesterday talking about whether MJD and Cutler would renew acquaintances nearly two years after the playoff Twitter dust-up.

I'm on Cutler's side now. There is no reason to even think MJD and Cutler had ever said a word to each other before that day or would have any reason to talk in the first place. That is a tired storyline being continued by a lazy media, and it's just more proof that they're framing everything to make him look as bad as possible. I'll listen when teammates call him out now, but that's about it.

I retract my earlier statements and agree with Ruckus. Cutler wins this.

Draft saved Draft deleted