1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have the Mainstream Media Ignored Our Heroes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 19, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well-put Ragu. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Mention the torture or the secret prisons and you always hear the war supporters pointing out that what we're doing isn't that bad compared to what they're doing to us, that these are terrorists and deserve to be treated badly, that torture is needed to get information to save lives, etc.
    I'm so sick of hearing "Of course it's wrong but..."
    And conservatives always rip liberals for trying to rationalize immoral behavior...

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Merloni,

This is weak gruel indeed.

I noted though, and with some dismay, that the website whence it came also posts an essay which states that the massacre at My Lai, in which hundreds of Vietnamese civilians were shot, bombed, burned and machine gunned to death by GIs, was no more than another opportunity for the "elite media" to undermine the morale of our good boys over there. The slaughter itself was not discussed. Which would be pretty funny were it not heartbreaking.

In any case, when you can cite a source other than one staffed and written by ill-informed quasi-literate crackpot fascists, perhaps we'll listen to your arguments about heroism and bravery. In the meantime, please stop insulting our intelligence ond our patriotism. Thanks.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yawn...a bunch of right wingers attacking the press for the coverage of the war. How original. I tune out that shit. Reporters write about what's going on...they don't ignore heroes because of their politics. The guys who write tripe like what you posted know as much about journalism as I know about translating Sanskrit to English. But at least I'm honest enough to admit I don't know shit about Sanskrit........

4. No Ragu - I don't consider what happened at Abu Ghraib to be "gross atrocities".

To me what the Nazi's did to the Jews in WWII were gross atrocities. What happened to the inmates at Abu Ghraib were gross misdemeanors by a small number of service people whose acts were no worse than hazing that happens at many college campuses. None of the inmates were injured to the degree where hospitalization was required. Yet people like Ted Kennedy were equating Abu Ghraib with Saddam's torture rooms. There is no way those two things are close to equal and if you believe so then I put forth that it is your moral compass that is out of whack.

Let us also remember that these inmates weren't boy scouts. We are talking about the scum of the scum of Iraq. Yet the MSM made them out to be the victims in the eyes of the world.

It should also be pointed out that the military moved quickly to punish those involved at Abu Ghraib.

BTW - find me something that shows those "secret CIA prisons" to be anything but another myth - another lie put forth by the MSM without a retraction when the truth of the lie was exposed.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, and the mainstream media got the European Union to go along with the Big Lie.

6. Do you have a credible source for your claim that the Jessica Lynch rescue was a pys-ops production?

Can you give me a link from something other than the Democratic Underground?

7. Small potatoes - maybe you can give me a creditable link on those secret prisons? Or could it be that you too would prefer to believe what you think is fake but accurate?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Works for you. Don't see why it can't work for the rest of us.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Lou,
    We're supposed to be the good guys here. It doesn't matter what the bad guys have done, want to do, could do if they got the chance, etc. It doesn't matter what other bad guys have done to us and others in the past. If we're supposed to be the good guys, we have to act the part.

10. The essay I linked to was co-writen by Casper Weinberger who was the Secretary of Defense under Ronald Reagan. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence by assuming you would know that but I guess I forgot how people here like to chime in on things they know nothing about.

BTW - Cap Weinberger graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University. But you feel free to toss out words like "ill-informed quasi-literate crackpot fascists"

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I was referring to the website where you clipped your little clipping, there, chucklehead, but if you want to talk about Cap's credentials, fine. Here's one: He's been dead since March.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And we've been ignoring him.

Draft saved Draft deleted