1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hats Off to The Democrats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

There's nothing partisan about the TRUTH. If Obama or Clinton f'd up this bad, I'd attack them.

But, W did set some precidents that can be used by future Presidents.

I'm sorry, I'm mid-30s fiscal conservative whose only experience with a smart-budgeting president was in the 1990s. When I see another one, I will applaud.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

really? well...I'm in recruiting, and not only am I still employed, but my company is hiring more recruiters. I don't know anyone in staffing that's been laid off within the past 5 years......and most work in the tech industry. If people in my industry are working, that's a good thing.........we're the first to get laid off.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Baron, your last post was one of the most over-generalized regurgitation of ignorance in the history of this board. That's impressive. Demo, of course journalism layoffs have an affect on broader economic coverage. You believe what you see.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As long as the Dems understand the "shoe on the other foot" philosophy... if something happens where there is countless criticism in an Obama administration, those that support him must know the anti-Obama side will heap it on. And if the Obamans disagree, there will always be the "you had your eight years of anti-Bush, now it's our turn."

As long as we're even on that point. :) Hey, if the next Congress screws up under a Democrat, remember November 1994.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, they're buying stuff. With credit cards, home equity lines of credit (that are only now starting to dry up due to the credit crisis). Nowadays, anyone can get a credit card. Heck, I remember as a college student having credit card companies at my school try to offer me all sorts of free stuff to sign up for one of their cards. And I was bombarded with offers for home equity loans, so I could 'go on a vacation.'

Meanwhile, Americans' savings rates are in the NEGATIVE numbers, the lowest rates since the Great Depression. People are spending more than they make, and are using credit cards to make up the difference. Here's one link (hopefully it works) that shows how bad things have been. It's from 2006:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/07/business/main1293943.shtml

Not only that, but as I said before, CEOs' pay has skyrocketed, while American workers' has not. I found this link, I'll grant that it is from the AFL-CIO, but they were citing a Businessweek survey:

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/jobseconomy/ceopay.cfm

In other words, while in many ways, Americans' lifestyles have improved (No more Eight-Tracks, now it's iPods)., the average American worker still has the same concerns as they did 25-30 years ago. There is little feeling that they are getting ahead.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't mean to postpad on this one, but I figured it deserves it's own response.

Let's see, I've never implied that journalists are covering the Iraq war from a hotel room in Amman. I've never wished that anyone should die of cancer. I've never insulted anyone's race or religion. And I've never outed anyone or gotten into major pissing matches that have gotten threads locked. I usually like a healthy discussion of ideas.

But according to Kleeda, one of my posts on a topic of economics was the worst regurgiation of ignorance on the history of this board. With no proof, no facts, nothing. I suppose next, you'll tell me that Dick Cheney is an excellent hunter.

Draft saved Draft deleted