1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate speech inside your newspaper....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Oct 6, 2007.

?

What's the policy at your shop?

1. Allowed if put in quotations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. not allowed period

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Allowed given certain context in which it's used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. not sure

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. allowed with no restriction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Just curious how broad a spectrum it is out there... ;)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My college paper ran a letter to the editor that ripped "queers." Gay-Straight Alliance protested us, but we made the right call by running the letter. People needed to see that there was a massive moron out there.

3. jakewriter82

I agree in that instance, and you shouldn't censor simply because you dont' agree with what's said, but is there a point where you give hate groups a microphone to spread their words?
    Where's the line, is there a line?
    When you quote gay bashers should you quote gay supporters in the same story?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We have a high-profile gang-murder, gang-intimidation trial going on here, and the main families wrote and read letters ripping each other outside the courtroom, and we printed said letters. Interesting stuff.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Personally, I think it's all fair game. This stuff exists out there, part of our job is to show people that and let our readers make their own decisions. Most are decent and intelligent enough to see the haters for what they are, I'd think.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

From the title I was thinking this thread was about speech in the office.

7. Me too.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My publisher has said flat out our paper would not publish hate speech. The only context I might do it is an instance when my college paper published racist hate letters directed at our school's SGA verbatim.

If someone wants to send in a virulently anti-whoever LTE, we aren't publishing it.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My opinion is that your publisher is doing readers a disservice. The public needs to know there are less tolerant people out there.

10. jakewriter82

Would that be "inside your newsroom"? an intriguing topic, though :)

Draft saved Draft deleted