1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has your paper made "Headlines?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My last stop had one that would've been on had it been submitted.

A wheelchair beauty pageant. Writer's lede finishes with "...and she walked away with first prize."

2. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

my old job had almost ran a headline saying that senior citizens learn blowing and shoveling...or something like that.

us sports guys, since we're the only ones with sick and deluded minds - our ME observed that we all needed counseling after filling out a mental health day - were the only ones who caught it and enjoyed informing letting the rest of the staff in on the joke.

It was changed to snowblowing

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I don't know. That would mean watching Leno to find out.

4. I remember that.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The paper I was at as a high school co-op student should have made it. The editor gave me a story about a daycare opening up and said it's done, put it on this page. Well, I was rushing to do something else and figured he'd proof it later himself. Page layed out.

Apparently, said editor's code for information he had to go back to check was XXX. Sure enough, we had the XXX day care centre opening up in town and looking for people to volunteer with XXX activities. I kid you not.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A major statewide daily fired an agate clerk for writing "I like big tits" in the middle of bowling scores.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I think I'm more surprised to somebody caught than by what he wrote.

Just reading these makes me nervous. I jokingly threw in a "Our team is fucking awesome" as a quote while setting up a gamer that was about to start. I never do that sort of shit because I've seen what happens. But now my mind is wandering through 500 different things and trying to recall whether I changed this thing or that thing two weeks ago, two days ago and two years ago. If I still have work in the morning, I suppose things went okay.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Well, it COULD have been the name of the team.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I make it a point to watch those five minutes every Monday night. Typically the only Leno I watch all week.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm told we had one make it before I got here. The headline was something along the lines of "Flood caused by rain"

11. My old stomping grounds had one recently.

"Residents: Wetlands too damp"

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

The "Vagina Monologues," an off-broadway play,
    was to perform in the hometown. Naturally, our
    headline for Friday's paper read:

Vagina's open today

Draft saved Draft deleted