1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has there ever been a more low-key lockout than the NHL's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 20, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

While surfing a moment ago, ran across a picture of some Predators skating...back on Nov. 8. Got me to thinking that the Hostess labor-union kerfuffle has gotten 100x more publicity in the last 3 days than the NHL lockout has received since it started.

Has the NHL successfully killed itself off?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What's an NHL?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Niche sport.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I think it's the new American version of the KHL

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I used to be about as big of an NHL supporter as you would find, but I've been completely turned off by all this.

All businesses have labor issues, but they find a way to resolve them for the good of everyone. It wasn't necessary to lock out the players this time.

I think a lot of people, especially in the US, have plenty of other things to keep them occupied.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Agreed.

Remember how the baseball strike of '94 (was it '94?) drove people away, never to come back? Until, of course, Mac and Sammy played Home Run Derby. At least that's the angels-singing, trumpets-blaring version we hear. In the 18 years since, there have been strikes/lockouts in all of the big pro sports. I'm of the opinion that now, people just don't care anymore. As Mark said, we all have plenty to keep us occupied. And when the NHL settles and drops the puck, its fans will come back.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think the labor disputes in the other sports plays a role, but the biggest factor is it hasn't even been a decade since the NHL lost an entire freaking season to one. I love hockey as well and especially playoff hockey but this latest round just has me not giving a crap in the slightest. In all honesty I don't think I care if it comes back, and thus I haven't paid a lot of attention. If actual fans feel that way, and I think I'm not alone, those on the fringe probably don't even realize a lockout is taking place.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I wasn't raised in hockey, but became more interested when the Sharks came into existence, being what I consider my home town's team and all. It's a great sport, but with each dispute, I lose more and more interest, since each deal is supposed to solve all the problems created by the last deal that was supposed to stabilize the sport financially. Vicious circle into a burning ring of fire.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Guy on Boston radio says part if the problem is the reluctance of the big market teams like Boston, New York and Chicago having to prop up other big market teams like Florida, Phoenix and Atlanta (until they moved). I think the league has to realize that the southern experiment should be chicks up as a learning experience.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think another issue is that for most casual fans, and even some that aren't, hockey is an afterthought until football is over anyway. Whether or not it will pick up steam in a month or two, who knows. I sort of doubt it but a few more people might notice it's gone in February.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's true. But as time drags on my attitude is shifting toward "just go ahead and cancel the whole season and get your freakin act together".

Part of that may well be my personal situation, which leaves less time for games than it might have in other years. But I really think this time around, the mess could have been avoided.

Draft saved Draft deleted