1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has there been any good newspaper news recently?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 8, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah...the study a few months ago that showed cutting back on staff and resources doesn't help sagging circulation and ad revenue. But the screwballs running our papers don't get it. I have a question for any writer or editor out there: instead of lay-offs, buy-outs, cutting travel, freezing salaries and freezing hiring, has any publisher or general manager taken the novel approach of firing the ad and circulation managers who can't find a way to sell ads or build circulation in the 21st century?

By and large, the writers, photogs and editors are giving the readers a good product. But the cost-cutting always falls on us, because ad departments couldn't sell hookers on a troopship and circulation people can't keep their numbers rising in areas where growth is skyrocketing, such as the south and southwest.

2. lapdog

lapdog Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003596607

3. And the award for the fan of the worst professional sports franchise is . . .

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I laughed out loud at that, as it pertains to the thread title.

Nice going.

5. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Not good news per se, but some reasons to feel good are found here. Linked to it, of course, are a corresponding numbers of mistakes.

6. boots

boots New Member

This is very discouraging.
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

7. This wasn't exactly a surprise. The Post has been a dead paper walking ever since the Enquirer ended the JOA.

8. boots

boots New Member

You are right but the news is still discouraging.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jesus, boots, do you want to post about it in the design folder too?

10. At least Boots got cleared from the bogus claim by his newsy co-worker. That's good news.

11. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I only had one screaming little league parent tell me how to do my job last week.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We altered the horse racing agate last week.
    A concerned, longtime reader/gentleman, said, "I hope you choke on maggots."
    He didn't say, "I hope you choke and die on maggots."

Draft saved Draft deleted