1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has there been any good newspaper news recently?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 8, 2007.

1. And by "recently," I mean in the last, like, year?

I was telling a friend how frequently news of impending layoffs/buyouts is posted on this site. He asked me if anything happier is ever posted. I said...I don't think so. Serrriously, is there anything you've heard in the last little while that has made you minutely more optimistic about the future of print media?

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Atlanta and Lincoln have a couple of pretty nice job openings. Other than that ...

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

How about online services such as ESPN.com, CBS Sportsline and Yahoo creating big-time beat reporter and national jobs like crazy, which has created several pro/big college openings? Is that not good news?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed... It's not all bad...

Bad news = 98 percent... Good news... 2 percent...

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not for newspapers.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's just another example of how the Internet sites are thriving while the rest of the profession is going to shit...

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Why aren't newspapers changing their strategies at all? Sure, they're doing a lot of new web initiatives that seem to me to be about two years behind the times, but that's it.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I won an award.

9. boots

boots New Member

Poynter.org has some cheerful news. It's not much, but it's a start. I know of frineds at smaller papers, some of whom post on here so I can't call out their places, where circulation is actually rising.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

None of the death threats I've had from angry prep parents have been carried out. My wife says that's good news.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on your perspective.

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

My key card still worked when I went to the office today. Every time that happens, it's good news.

Draft saved Draft deleted