1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the game passed Coach K by?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 23, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

also, this is jim calhoun's output since winning the national championship in 2004:

2005- lost in the second round to friggin NC state
    2006- lost in the elite eight to friggin george mason
    2007- NIT
    2008- lost in the first round to friggin san diego

if the game's passed K by, then it's dialing internationally to taunt calhoun.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.wral.com/sports/blogpost/2623997/">Dave Glenn sums it up pretty well here: It's about the players. Duke players just aren't as good as they used to be.</a>

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Had to check quickly to see if that was a sarcastic post or a Pastor post.

4. Questions about whether the game has passed K by are laughable. You don't win as many games as he did this year with no talent and no clue.

The tournament is a different story. It's all about matchups and the pressure of knowing you can't make a mistake and stick around. It's crucial in the postseason that you have a means of getting easy baskets sometimes, because those jump shots are not always going to fall. K's best inside scorer was a 6-4 wing, Henderson.

Had McRoberts stuck around for at least one more year, I don't think we'd be having this conversation. While not as dominant as Brand/Williams (I don't count Battier, who was more of a 6-9 wing offensively), McRoberts was a solid low-post scorer with a good, quick move to the hoop. Pair him with a shooter/passer like Singler, who is more in the Battier mold offensively, plus the perimeter guys on hand this year, and it's a Final Four quality team. Depending upon matchups. There's always that.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

K got blinded, frankly, by the conference race. He figured he could steal a league title from one of Royball's best teams, get the No. 1 seed in the East, and put his limping team back together over two weekends in Raleigh and Charlotte, respectively.

Right after the losses to Wake and Miami, he should have pulled back on the reigns, realized his team was getting tired, and settled for No. 2 or No. 3 seed.

6. rube

rube Active Member

You might be the first person (Duke fanboy or not) that I've ever heard defend and make a case for Josh McRoberts.
    I don't think he ever meshed well there, I got the sense the team wasn't a big fan of us and neither was K ... I think they were better off regardless this season without him.

7. Thanks for the props, I think. Yeah, I heard the same things about McRoberts not getting along with everyone. I think a good part of that was the open talk about leaving early, which started during his first year. That doesn't sit well with upperclassmen who have paid their dues and bought into the Duke four-year plan.

However, nobody said they had to like each other, just play well together. And when I saw McRoberts get the ball on the block and spin or dropstep quickly, he was almost automatic. When he fiddled around, putting the ball on the floor, was when he would get stripped and stopped. I don't know if he was hard to coach, or just a typical teenager. But I know this. There was no better low post player on that team this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted