1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the first pick in the NFL fantasy football draft ever been so perilous?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I went with LT in my paper's non-keeper league. Hopefully that knee holds up.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since we've ventured, somewhat, into generic fantasy football talk, I'll throw a quick question out there.
    Work league is a keeper league. We get to keep two, and they have to be from different positions. They count as a pick from whatever round they were drafted in last year. My second keeper is down to either Anquan Boldin or Roy Williams. Both were fourth-rounders. Who do you like there?
    I'm leaning toward Boldin, but something -- don't know what, maybe his injuries last year -- is scaring me about him.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

His holdout is a bigger worry.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

93Devil is in the league?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I give up

:D

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Tomlinson never plays exhibition games.

Tom Petty says you should take Darren McFadden.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then please play in a league when I played (past tense on purpose ... don't play anymore). That's your prerogative, obviously, but bypassing stud WRs for second- or third-rate RBs isn't smart.

In a 14-teamer three years ago, I had the No. 1 pick and obviously took Tomlinson. The backs went flying off the board, and I got Ritalin Child and Chad Johnson at the 2/3 turnaround. I took Chris Chambers in the seventh or eighth round. All three ended up in the Pro Bowl.

Better to be really strong at three - maybe four - positions than give up THAT much just to load up at RB. BTW, got Cadillac Williams in the fourth round and Stephen Davis in the ninth because when someone took DeShaun Foster, the others forgot who was still toting the mail out the backfield in Charlotte.

(I await Cowbell's retort, undoubtedly loaded with name-calling since he put this out there ... )
    ----

Back on topic, this isn't much of a debate IMO. The pick is still Tomlinson. And quite frankly, I go Westbrook before Adrian Peterson.

Peterson is an incredible talent, but his inconsistency should not be tolerated when you possess the No. 1 pick. Forty and fifty yards on more than the occasional week will drive a devout FFLer nuts.

After those three, especially if the scoring system credited TD passes equal to rushing TDs, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady should merit serious consideration.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Early in the second round, and both Ryan Grant and Randy Moss are available? No other WRs have been taken, but 10 RBs have. Whoyagot?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Moss.

I had the second pick in a draft today and took Westbrook. Got Peterson with the second pick in a previous draft. Figured I'd mix it up.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Moss. If you got RB in Round 1, take Moss.

The advantage he's likely to provide over other WRs - and quite a few RBs depending on your scoring system - is bigger than the advantage Ryan Grant will offer over his peers at RB.

For someone not playing anymore, I sure am full of bluster, eh? :-\

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good lord we had a dumbass in our draft last night. Guy gets the No. 4 pick overall, and because of our keeper rules there were a number of great running backs available this year. Peyton Manning goes first (because of the keeper rules), followed by Tomlinson and Westbrook.
    Among the players still available at No. 4 are Steven Jackson, Terrell Owens, Romo, Brees and Larry Johnson. So, the guy says he's a Jets fan and needs a Jet. So with Brady in his back pocket as a fourth-round keeper, and a chance to build a monster team, who does this guy pick?
    Jericho Cotchery.
    I shit you not.
    Everyone in the room thought he was kidding. After a minute, when he didn't follow it up with another name, I said, "You're fucking serious!?"
    He was.
    Among his other noteworthy picks were Jerious Norwood and Steve Slaton as his third and fouth running backs, and a receiving corps of Cotchery, Ted Ginn Jr., Jeremy Shockey, Derrick Mason and Wes Welker. And the Cowboys' defense, a late-round steal he was particularly proud of.
    Gotta say, it made the draft a lot easier when there's 9 1/2 players instead of 10.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wish he was in my leagues.

Draft saved Draft deleted