1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has ESPN finally woken up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Game is On TBS tonight, just like last year's play-in game.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Translation: ESPN showing ANY soccer is "shoving it down [his] throat." ::)

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hear, hear.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's 2008. TBS, TNT,  ESPN and ESPN2 are national television.

Stuff I'd like to see more of on ESPN: NHL; world soccer; sports-car racing; MLB games on Memorial Day, Labor Day and Independence Day; MLB games every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday; CFL; Formula 1; all kinds of rugby; Australian Rules Football; college baseball (ESPNU doesn't count).

Stuff I'd like to see less of or none of on ESPN: Busch Series racing (Look, it's a support/development series. I don't care if some Cup guys are running, we don't have Indy Lights shoved down our throats like this and it's of equal importance. Stop pretending we give a shit and tell Nicole Manske to stop talking about it.); poker; spelling bees; Scrabble bees; dog shows; geography bees; ballroom dancing; And1 mix tapes; Little League, Pony League, Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth; high school football; high school basketball; marching-band competitions; Madden Nation; and last but not least, Jim Rome (he has a take and it sucks).

I reserve the right to add to the second list at any time with cause.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you want to talk about a network that needs to cut back on original (dopey) programming, try the Speed Channel on weeknights. I'd have to think ESPN could bury them if it wanted to, buying out rights to everything from F1 to MotoGP to every American racing series in between.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pinks (all iterations) must die. And it must take Unique Whips, Livin' The Low Life, Super Bikes! and Wrecked to hell with it.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You see, here's where I and and others differ.

I don't think there's that much wrong with High School football and basketball. I don't mind Nationwide Series races, although NASCAR isn't really my thing. Maybe Little League could drop, but as cynical as I can be I don't mind it too much.

The thing that's completely done to death at this point, though, is the talking heads shows. Too many, too much. If you're going to do the NFL 365, how about a half-hour MLB or NBA show at 4:30 p.m. to get viewers set for the evening's games?

I really don't understand why there aren't specialized highlights shows late on ESPN2 instead of And1 Mixtape, Poker, Madden, etc. I really think ESPN misses the boat by not having a half-hour soccer, hockey or whatever else highlight show at night during those sports seasons.

I know those take manpower, and producers, and sometimes it's easier to fill content with stuff that is produced outside the fold, but I think they're losing more eyes that want this over the eyes they get from that stuff.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bring back the Wednesday night baseball doubleheader, so being on the east coast isn't a requirement for national television candidacy.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, I can get completely behind this. Can't understand why they did away with it.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Word for fucking word. And the fascination with the Nationwide Series by the networks blows my mind.

11. Ditto.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Crossprogramming [/vincedoria]

Draft saved Draft deleted